Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits-04.txt

gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk Fri, 19 June 2015 14:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 15:05:31 +0100
From: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
To: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
Cc: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, "\"Mirja Kühlewind\"" <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>, Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits-04.txt

Thanks Dave,

To keep people informed, we have taken the Chairs' advice and kept the
current format in the new upcoming revision (will be -05), but we have
also tried hard to address concerns over the what is recommended, fix
inconsistencies where noted, and above all tried to make the document more
accessible to others.

Specifically on David's comments below.

This will clearly state that ToS field usage is deprecated, and explain
why this is bad for ECN.

We try to "describe" things that need to be done to support ECN, rather
than develop a requirements list, similarly we tried to avoid describing
pitfalls in this document. While neither should be forgotten, they did not
seem to us to be the things to record in this particular ID.

We did add text in the new version to a section "3.4 Co-existance of ECN
and non-ECN flows" that will not say how to handle multiple queues or how
to do things better, but it does say that AQM designers need to think
about the latency of queueing CE-marked packets, and that better
algorithms could be made.

We'll send this shortly to the list.

Gorry