Re: [aqm] IETF88 Fri 08Nov13 - 12:30 Regency B

gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk Thu, 07 November 2013 19:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 19:01:59 -0000
From: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, Richard Scheffenegger <rs@netapp.com>, Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, "Akhtar, Shahid (Shahid)" <shahid.akhtar@alcatel-lucent.com>, "Naeem Khademi (naeemk@ifi.uio.no)" <naeemk@ifi.uio.no>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] IETF88 Fri 08Nov13 - 12:30 Regency B

Gorry - I added a few words to add to those from Fred, see in-line as [gf].

> On Nov 7, 2013, at 8:59 AM, "Akhtar, Shahid (Shahid)"
> <shahid.akhtar@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Had some comments on Fred's document. I have added the comments as track
>> changes in a word document to easily see them. I used the 02 version.
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Permit me to put your comments in email, along with my own views. Also
> adding my co-author and the other working group chair on the CC line; if
> he is like me, he receives far too much email, and mail that is explicitly
> to or copies him bubbles higher in the column.
>
>>> 4.  Conclusions and Recommendations
>>>   [snip]
>>>    3.  The algorithms that the IETF recommends SHOULD NOT require
>>>        operational (especially manual) configuration or tuning.
>>
>> Some tuning may be required or implicitly assumed for virtually all AQMs
>> – please see my comment later.
>
> That's an opinion. One of the objectives of Van and Kathy's work, and
> separately of Rong Pan et al's work, is to design an algorithm that may
> have different initial conditions drawn from a table given the interface
> it finds itself on, but requires no manual tuning. The great failure of
> RED, recommended in RFC 2309, is not that it doesn't work when properly
> configured; it's that real humans don't have the time to properly tune it
> differently for each of the thousands of link endpoints in their networks.
> There is no point in changing away from RED if that is also true of the
> replacement.

[gf] I note you commented on the previous individual submission. In the
latest version (WG -00 revision),  we tried to clarify the difference
between the overall goal and practicalities. Do you think the update
accommodate the need/ability for tuning to specific use-cases?

>>>    7.  Research, engineering, and measurement efforts are needed
>>>        regarding the design of mechanisms to deal with flows that are
>>>        unresponsive to congestion notification or are responsive, but
>>>        are more aggressive than present TCP.
>>
>>       Do we want to make a suggestion on how to configure buffer sizes
>> with each type of AQM here (e.g. 2xBDP etc) or simply state that
>> research should be conducted on the best buffer sizes to use with
>> AQM.
>
> I'm not sure that buffer sizes are specific to AQM algorithms; I'd
> entertain evidence otherwise. Buffer *thresholds* ("at what point do we
> start dropping/marking traffic?") may differ between algorithms. Buffer
> size ("how many bytes/packets do we allow into the queue in the worst
> case?") is a matter of the characteristics of burst behavior in a given
> network and the applications it supports. If I have, say, a Map/Reduce
> application that simultaneously asks thousands of systems a question, the
> queues in the intervening switches will need to be able to briefly absorb
> thousands of response packets. The key word here is "briefly". When Van or
> Kathy talk about "good queue" and "bad queue", they are saying that burst
> behavior may call for deep queues, but we really want the steady state to
> achieve 100% utilization with a statistically empty queue if we can
> possibly achieve that.

[gf] I would love to be able start making recommendations in this space,
but I think this is a lot more complicated.

But, "buffer size" in actual router/middlebox design isn't just a single
number, there are multiple buffers, thresholds and scheduling that
interplay and relate to specific methods.

I think this particular draft, as a BCP, should not delve into detail here.

>>> 4.3.  AQM algorithms deployed SHOULD NOT require operational tuning
>>>
>>>    A number of algorithms have been proposed.  Many require some form
>>> of
>>>    tuning or initial condition.  This can make them difficult to use
>>>    operationally.  Hence, self-tuning algorithms are to be preferred.
>>>    The algorithms that the IETF recommends SHOULD NOT require
>>>    operational (especially manual) configuration or tuning.
>>
>> May be better to state that tuning should be minimized. For the second
>> sentence “The algorithms that the IETF recommends should minimize tuning
>> or configurations changes for specific traffic or network conditions”
>>
>> I would argue that all AQMs will likely require or assume some type of
>> configuration/tuning.
>>
>> For example, if we take Codel:
>>
>> ·       For small thin links, such as 1-10Mbs DSL, the 5ms target would
>> increase packet loss significantly and at 2Mbps, a single MTU time may
>> even exceed the 5ms target.
>>
>> ·       If the average RTT of all flows going through a link is more
>> than 500ms, e.g. for satellite, then the 100ms interval would
>> prematurely drop packets before the sources have had a chance to reduce
>> their sending rate. Or if the average RTT is very low – e.g. 10ms – such
>> as for flows between data-center elements, then 100ms interval may be
>> slow to signal congestion back to the sources and significant packet
>> loss may have occurred before such signaling.
>

> What you describe is what I referred to as "initial conditions derived
> from the links the algorithm finds itself on". We may be in violent
> agreement there. If so, the wording I might suggest would be "SHOULD NOT
> require operational (especially manual) configuration or tuning apart from
> automated determination of initial conditions" or some such thing.

[gf] Again, is the WG -00 draft closer or not to what you are thinking?

[gf] Gorry