Re: [aqm] adoption call: draft-welzl-ecn-benefits

gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk Sat, 30 August 2014 07:14 UTC

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:13:58 +0100
From: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
To: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
Cc: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] adoption call: draft-welzl-ecn-benefits

Please see some thoughts below.

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 3:24 AM, Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>> OK, so I have many comments, see below.
>>
>> Gorry
>>

>> On 12/08/2014 10:43, Bob Briscoe wrote:
>>>
>>> Wes, and responders so far,
>>>
>>> A doc on the benefits and pitfalls of ECN is needed. Personally I
>>> wouldn't assign much of my own time as a priority for such work; I'd
>>> rather work on finding the best road through the protocol engineering.
>>> But I'm glad others are doing this.
>>>
>>> We need to be clear that this doc (at the moment) is about the benefits
>>> of 'something like RFC3168 ECN'. I think that is the right direction. I
>>> would not be interested in a doc solely about the benefits of 'classic'
>>> ECN (we had RFC2884 for that).
>>>
>>> However, if it is about the benefits of some other ECN-like thing, it
>>> will not be worth writing unless it is more concrete on what that other
>>> ECN-like thing is. At present different and sometimes conflicting ideas
>>> are floating around (I'm to blame for a few).
>>>
>>> In order to write about benefits, surely experiments are needed to
>>> quantify the benefits?
>
> +10

GF: Interesting suggestions, thanks. We'd be happy to see research to
quantify the benefits of specific methods in a range of scenarios.
However, this draft is intended to be a long-lived document that speaks of
the potential benefits that ECN can offer across the Internet in general.

>>> Alternatively, this could be a manifesto to
>>> identify /potential/ benefits of ECN that the current classic ECN is
>>> failing to give. I think at the moment it's the latter (and that's OK
>>> given that's where we have reached today).
>>>
>> GF: If someone wishes to write this research paper, I'd be happy to join
>> them, but it was not what I had in mind for this ID.
>>

>>> How about the title "Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN): Benefits,
>>> Opportunities and Pitfalls" ?
>>>
>> GF: I could live with that, if the group wished this!
>
> +1
>

>>> We (in the RITE project) have agreed to start work on an 'ECN Roadmap'
>>> in order to identify all the potential ideas for using ECN coming out
>>> of
>>> research, and write down whether new standards will be needed for some,
>>> whether they can evolve without changing standards, which are
>>> complementary, which conflict, etc.
>
> I'd like to see experiments done through the free.fr network as it's the
> only one I know of with ecn enabled along the edge in their revolution
> v6 product.
>
> Presently cerowrt ships with ecn enabled on the inbound rate
> limiter and disabled on the outbound, I have considered enabling
> it by default on the outbound for connections > 4mbits.
> (users can override these settings, of course)

GF: Understood.

> [...]
>>

>>> However, an informational doc would not be the right place to deprecate
>>> the ECN nonce. That needs to be in a doc that offers an alternative
>>> mechanism (which is where draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat is heading -
>>> we have ideas on how to extend it to ECN cheating).
>>>
>> GF: - I'd be surprised if this document deprecates an EXP RFC (I've said
>> this before), normally I'd expect this in the draft that defines the
>> replacement technique.

>>> This might be relevant if talking about how there could be benefits if
>>> it were done differently from RFC3168. But otherwise, I agree this
>>> would
>>> not be on-topic for this doc.
>>>
>> GF: This could be complicated, but probably depends on how
>> far the WG has proceeded in other
>> documents when this document is ready to publish?

>>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhu-rmcat-nada-03>
>
> I like the idea of protecting the main frame (P-frame?
> can never keep these
> straight) with ecn, and allowing for loss on the deltas lacking ecn.
>
> Also don't mind the idea of protecting all of a videoconferencing session
> with ecn, and reacting to those congestion notifications appropriately.
> (assuming that the other problems involving washing, etc, are licked)
>
>>> I assume using ECN on local links in routing protocols is just
>>> something
>>> Dave is saying that operators could do unilaterally.
>
> A long running research project of mine (over 15 years running)
> has been to find a routing protocol
> that worked well for wireless, and one more holy grail
> has been to find one that reacted well to congestion and differences in
> available bandwidth. Most routing protocols
> stop at "reachability", and some conflate packet loss with that.
>
> and: ecn marking bgp tcp sessions would be a good way of making sure ecn
> worked right in the core. ;/
>
> Please note that although I think I've got tantalizing hints towards
> coming up with better routing metrics for wireless or congested
> networks as an outgrowth of the bufferbloat work (examples - the new
> babel-rtt metric, some improvements on minstrel algorithm's in-kernel
> connectivity and bandwidth reporting, and the idea of throwing a
> dropped or  marked packet up to user space where a routing daemon
> might take a look at it and  it's path and do something smarter about
> it) - I've been at it for a long time without much success and don't
> want to hold up more productive research elsewhere.
>
>> GF: The IETF has acknowledged alternate ECN semantics via setting the
>> DSCP  field (RFC4774, I recall some historical discussion of why
>> and where), at least something
>> could be said about this. I'd like to add at least a pointer.
>>
>>> Given QUIC includes FEC to hide losses, I guess it is a good example to
>>> consider whether ECN still offers sufficient benefits over and above
>>> just removing losses.
>>>
>> GF: And then, isn't the implication of AQM to significantly increase the

GF: I replied in another thread - what I wrote wasn't what I intended to say.