Re: [aqm] Question re draft-baker-aqm-recommendations recomendation #5

"Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com> Fri, 10 May 2013 12:53 UTC

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>
To: Vijay Subramanian <subramanian.vijay@gmail.com>, "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 12:52:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.106.53.53]
Cc: "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] Question re draft-baker-aqm-recommendations recomendation #5

Hi Fred,

I agree with Vijay and Michael;

The last four words of the title can also be confusing [to the session, other flows, ...] (without incurring loss or undue round trip delay).

If such a section remains, I'd argue against naming of specific protocols; from a router / AQM POV, it might be worthwhile to mention what an AQM SHOULD NOT do considering common congestion control algorithms (ie. delay the congestion signal - obviously; drop  entire flights or lots of consecutive packets of one flow - difficult without state; drop/mark retransmitted packets  - again difficult without a means to identify them. RFC3168 for TCP (SCTP) recommends, however, that retransmissions should not be ECT marked. However I am dubious about the claimed benefit; a lost (as the only means to signal persistent congestion) retransmitted segment is WORSE than a lost original packet (which carries ECT, and would only receive a CE mark). Also, Linux seems to ignore that specific paragraph in RFC3168...).

So, without focusing only on TCP CC - are there any scenarios where an AQM could overshoot and elicit too much of a reaction from a transport CC [dropping a retransmitted segment will cause a RTO with IETF spec'd TCP/SCTP]? If they are general (ie. applicable to SCTP, DDCP, [RTMFP]...), documenting them in this document seems reasonable.

Best regards,

Richard Scheffenegger