Re: [armd] datacenter reference architecture draft

Joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Sun, 06 November 2011 17:03 UTC

Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 09:03:53 -0800
From: Joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: Manish Karir <mkarir@merit.edu>
Cc: armd@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [armd] datacenter reference architecture draft

On 11/4/11 07:59 , Manish Karir wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> The goal of 3.4.1-3.4.4 was to discuss variations on how L2/L3 topologies can
> vary from one data center to the next even with the generic data center
> logical model.  These came out of various discussions at previous ietf/nanog
> meetings and offline discussion.  Some may not make sense to us, but were
> the perfect solution to others who needed to solve a particular problem.

They make sense to someone. as I noted the authors have in the text come
to some conclusions about what model is most appropiate for deploment
within a datacenter in order to support a specific problem namely l2 v2
vm mobility.

The notion that constraining the l2 domain to a single or two tor is
only suitable for static environments is wrong. likewise that
virtualization has to necessarily drive l2 mobility, it does not.