Re: [Asrg] News Article - Microsoft and spam

Yakov Shafranovich <research@solidmatrix.com> Thu, 26 June 2003 19:04 UTC

To: Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>, asrg@ietf.org
From: Yakov Shafranovich <research@solidmatrix.com>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] News Article - Microsoft and spam
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:02:09 -0400

At 10:57 AM 6/26/2003 -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > From: Yakov Shafranovich <research@solidmatrix.com>

> > I was wondering about that as well. Would hiring people for go through the
> > human interface test increases the costs for spammers? Does it matter
> since
> > the cost is so small anyway? What about in a C/R system where a human
> > interface test is used, would spammers actually go ahead and hire
> people to
> > pass the test from each bounced message?
>
>Let's do some arithmetic.  At $10/hour and 10 seconds per challenge
>answered or account created, the cost would be about $0.03 address.
>That sounds a little but not very high to send mail until the
>challenge whitelist entry is deleted by the spam target.  It sounds
>low for a valid sender account that can be used for millions of
>messages for days until the free provider notices enough bounces
>or receives a complaint and terminates it.
>[..]

Even if every single message has to be manually verified or sent by a
human, how much would it cost anyway to hire people to do so? It seems that
the advantage that spam enjoys is due to low cost of the transmission
medium. In the postal system junk mail is restricted not by the fact that
its sent by humans or machines, but rather by the cost of the postage
itself and various laws covering illegal mail scams. Thus, in the email
world it would seem that an economic solution that imposes postage costs
would seem like a good solution but then again the real world does not
correspond directly to the Net world.

On the other hand snail mail recipients cannot have an automated system
reject junk mail, unlike email users. Thus this brings us back again to
consent-based communications. Users and/or their providers define filtering
rules under which email is rejected or put into the bulk folder. For the
most paranoid, all email is rejected unless the receiver is known, for
others filtering, C/R, HTML blocking, etc. systems can be used.  Once the
receiver has given his consent to the sender, all email will flow freely.
Consent can either be given by being put on a whitelist - then issues of
forged sender must be resolved. Other ways to give consent is cryptographic
tokens or passwords.

Just some thoughts.

Yakov