Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9552 <draft-ietf-idr-rfc7752bis-17> for your review

rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org Sat, 16 December 2023 02:15 UTC

To: ketant.ietf@gmail.com
From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, idr-ads@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, jhaas@pfrc.org, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 18:15:13 -0800
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9552 <draft-ietf-idr-rfc7752bis-17> for your review

Ketan,

While reviewing this document during AUTH48, please resolve (as necessary)
the following questions, which are also in the XML file.

1) <!-- [rfced] Please insert any keywords (beyond those that appear in
the title) for use on https://www.rfc-editor.org/search. -->

2) <!--[rfced] In the sentence below, does "that requires CPU-intensive
or coordinated computations" refer to "Path Computation Element (CPE)"?

Original:
   The IETF has defined the Path Computation Element (PCE) [RFC4655] as
   a mechanism for achieving the computation of end-to-end TE paths that
   cross the visibility of more than one TED or that requires CPU-
   intensive or coordinated computations.

Perhaps:
   The IETF has defined the Path Computation Element (PCE) [RFC4655] as
   a mechanism for achieving the computation of end-to-end TE paths that
   cross the visibility of more than one TED. The PCE also requires CPU-
   intensive or coordinated computations.
-->

3) <!--[rfced] We do not see any mentions of "loose-hop-expansion" in
RFC 3209. We note that the document includes instances of "loose hop",
but there are no occurrences of "expansion". Please review and let us
know if the citation requires any updates.

Original:
   Per-domain path
   computation uses a technique called "loose-hop-expansion" [RFC3209]
   and selects the exit ABR and other ABRs or AS Border Routers (ASBRs)
   using the IGP-computed shortest path topology for the remainder of
   the path.
-->

4) <!--[rfced] May we update the commas in this list as follows?

Original:
   (2) a BGP
   path attribute (BGP-LS Attribute) that carries properties of the
   link, node, or prefix objects such as the link and prefix metric or
   auxiliary Router-IDs of nodes, etc.

Perhaps:
   (2) a BGP
   path attribute (BGP-LS Attribute) that carries properties of the
   link, node, or prefix objects such as the link and prefix metric,
   auxiliary Router-IDs of nodes, etc.
-->

5) <!-- [rfced] Tables 3 and 18 have entries for the following:

   513         | BGP-LS Identifier (deprecated)

Should the entry be marked as deprecated in the IANA registry <https://www.iana.org/assignments/bgp-ls-parameters/bgp-ls-parameters.xhtml#node-descriptor-link-descriptor-prefix-descriptor-attribute-tlv>?
-->

6) <!--[rfced] The sentences below read awkwardly with "direct or static".
Please review and let us know if/how they may be updated.

Original:
   This is a mandatory TLV when
   originating information from IS-IS, OSPF, direct or static.
   When the node is running an IGP protocol,
   an implementation MAY choose to use the IGP Router-ID for direct
   or static.

Perhaps:
   This is a mandatory TLV when
   originating information from IS-IS, OSPF, 'Direct', or 'Static
   configuration'.
   When the node is running an IGP protocol,
   an implementation MAY choose to use the IGP Router-ID for 'Direct'
   or 'Static configuration'.
-->

7) <!-- [rfced] There is a slight difference between the sections
referenced in Tables 5 and 18.  The reference in the IANA registry matches
what appears in Table 18.  Should the section references be updated for
consistency?  Perhaps they should match what appears Table 5?

Table 5 (Section 5.2.3):
   |      264       | OSPF Route Type           |    1     | Section   |
   |                |                           |          | 5.2.3.1   |
   |      265       | IP Reachability           | variable | Section   |
   |                | Information               |          | 5.2.3.2   |

Table 18 (Section 9):
     |      264       | OSPF Route Type         | Section 5.2.3     |
     |      265       | IP Reachability         | Section 5.2.3     |
     |                | Information             |                   |
-->

8) <!--[rfced] We note that Figure 13 includes a field called "Route
Type". Should "OSPF" be removed from this text that precedes Figure 13?

Original:
   The OSPF Route Type field follows the route types defined in the OSPF
   protocol and can be one of the following:

Perhaps:
   The Route Type field follows the route types defined in the OSPF
   protocol and can be one of the following:
-->

9) <!-- [rfced] The following appears in Table 7:

   | 'T' | Attached Bit | [ISO10589] |

The following appears in Table 14:

   |  1  | Attached Bit (A-bit) |  RFC 9552 |

Should Table 7 be updated to reflect 'A' in the Bit column?
-->

10) <!--[rfced] To parallel the fields of other figures, should "Opaque
node attributes" and "Opaque link attributes" be capitalized in
Figures 18 and 23, respectively?

Original:
     //               Opaque node attributes (variable)             //

                  Figure 18: Opaque Node Attribute Format

     //                Opaque link attributes (variable)            //

                Figure 23: Opaque Link Attribute TLV Format
-->

11) <!--[rfced] Should the parentheses around "SRLG" proceeding "IPv4"
be removed to parallel "SRLG" proceeding "IPv6"?

Original:
   In IS-IS, the SRLG
   information is carried in two different TLVs: the IPv4 (SRLG) TLV
   (Type 138) defined in [RFC5307] and the IPv6 SRLG TLV (Type 139)
   defined in [RFC6119].

Perhaps:
   In IS-IS, the SRLG
   information is carried in two different TLVs: the IPv4 SRLG TLV
   (Type 138) defined in [RFC5307] and the IPv6 SRLG TLV (Type 139)
   defined in [RFC6119].
-->

12) <!--[rfced] We note that the "local address" bit listed in RFC 5340
lists the bit value as "LA-bit". Should "L" (Table 11) be updated to "LA-bit"?
-->

13) <!--[rfced] May we update instances of "Extened IGP Route Tag" to be
"IGP Extened Route Tag" to reflect the defined code point in IANA's
"BGP-LS NLRI and Attribute TLVs" registry? If yes, these updates will
be made in Section 5.3.3.3.
-->

14) <!--[rfced] May we update the sentence below to improve readability?

Original:
   An originating router shall use this TLV for encoding information
   specific to the protocol advertised in the NLRI header Protocol-ID
   field or new protocol extensions to the protocol as advertised in the
   NLRI header Protocol-ID field for which there is no protocol-neutral
   representation in the BGP Link-State NLRI.

Perhaps:
   An originating router shall use this TLV for encoding information
   specific to the protocol advertised in the NLRI header Protocol-ID
   field or it shall use new protocol extensions for the protocol as
   advertised in the NLRI header Protocol-ID field for which there is no
   protocol-neutral representation in the BGP Link-State NLRI.
-->

15) <!--[rfced] FYI, we've updated "E-AS-External-Prefix-LSA" to
"E-AS-External-LSA" to match what appears in Section 4.5 of RFC 8362.
Please let us know of any concerns.

Original:
   In the case of OSPFv3, this
   TLV MUST NOT be used to advertise TLVs other than those in the OSPFv3
   E-Inter-Area-Prefix-LSA, E-Intra-Area-Prefix-LSA, E-AS-External-
   Prefix-LSA, and E-NSSA-LSA [RFC8362].

Current:
   In the case of OSPFv3, this
   TLV MUST NOT be used to advertise TLVs other than those in the OSPFv3
   E-Inter-Area-Prefix-LSA, E-Intra-Area-Prefix-LSA, E-AS-External-LSA,
   and E-NSSA-LSA [RFC8362].
-->

16) <!--[rfced] May we update this sentence as follows for clarity?

Original:
   Consider a point-to-point link between two routers, A and B, that
   initially were OSPFv2-only routers and then IS-IS is enabled on them.

Perhaps:
   Consider a point-to-point link between two routers, A and B, which
   initially were OSPFv2-only routers and then had IS-IS enabled on them.
-->

17) <!-- [rfced] Terminology

a) Throughout the text, the following terminology appears to be used
inconsistently. Please review these occurrences and let us know if/how they
may be made consistent.

Broadcast LAN / broadcast LAN
Multi-Topology ID / Multi-Topology Identifier
Node Name / node name
Route Reflector / route reflector

b) To parallel RFC 7752, may we update the following terms to the ones
listed on the left.

link-local IPv6 address / IPv6 link-local address
path attribute length / Path Attribute Length

c) FYI, we made the following terms capitalized for consistency to parallel
other BGP terminology. Please review and let us know if further updates
are necessary.

BGP Attribute
BGP Decision Process
BGP Next-Hop
 -> does this always refer to the attribute?
BGP Speaker

BGP-LS Attribute
BGP-LS Speaker
-->

18) <!-- [rfced] FYI - We have added expansions for the following
abbreviations per Section 3.6 of RFC 7322 ("RFC Style Guide"). Please
review each expansion in the document carefully to ensure correctness.

Not-So-Stubby Area (NSSA)
Provider Edge (PE)
RSVP - Fast Reroute (RSVP-FRR)
-->

19) <!-- [rfced] Please review the "Inclusive Language" portion of the
online Style Guide <https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/part2/#inclusive_language>
and let us know if any changes are needed.

Note that our script did not flag any words in particular, but this should
still be reviewed as a best practice.
-->

Thank you.

RFC Editor