Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9435 <draft-ietf-tsvwg-dscp-considerations-13> for your review

rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org Mon, 03 July 2023 23:23 UTC

To: ana@erg.abdn.ac.uk, gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk, r.secchi@abdn.ac.uk
From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, tsvwg-ads@ietf.org, tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org, david.black@dell.com, martin.h.duke@gmail.com, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 16:23:50 -0700
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9435 <draft-ietf-tsvwg-dscp-considerations-13> for your review

Authors,

While reviewing this document during AUTH48, please resolve (as necessary) the following questions, which are also in the XML file.

1) <!-- [rfced] FYI, the title of the document has been updated as follows.

Original:
Considerations for Assigning a new Recommended DiffServ Codepoint
(DSCP)

Current:
Considerations for Assigning a New Recommended Differentiated
Services Code Point (DSCP)
-->

2) <!-- [rfced] FYI: Repeated references

a) Since "[RFC2474]" was cited twice in this sentence, and no other
citation was present, we placed it at the end of the sentence.

Original:
   It provides differentiated traffic forwarding
   based on the DiffServ Code Point (DSCP) [RFC2474] carried in the
   DiffServ field [RFC2474] of the IP packet header.

Current:
   It provides differentiated traffic forwarding
   based on the DSCP carried in the Diffserv field of the IP packet
   header [RFC2474].

b) Similarly, since "[RFC4594]" was cited twice in this sentence,
we placed this reference at the end of the sentence.

Original:
   DiffServ associates traffic with a service class [RFC4594] and
   categorises it into Behavior Aggregates [RFC4594].

Suggested:
   Diffserv associates traffic with a service class and
   categorizes it into Behavior Aggregates [RFC4594].
-->

3) <!-- [rfced] FYI, we have updated this text to:
- cite RFC 2474 because it's the source of the quote, and
- change "standards" to "standardized" to match the source, and
- include the phrase "if Pool 1 is ever exhausted" because it's in
  the source.
Please let us know if you prefer otherwise.

Original:
      This was initially available for experimental (EXP) or Local Use
      (LU), but was originally specified to be "preferentially utilized
      for standards assignments" if Pool 1 is ever exhausted.

Current:
      This was initially available for Experimental (EXP) Use or Local Use
      (LU), but was originally specified to be "preferentially utilized
      for standardized assignments if Pool 1 is ever exhausted" [RFC2474].
-->

4) <!-- [rfced] Please note that the quoted text does not appear in RFC 8436.
Please review and let us know how this may be updated.
Perhaps you intended the "NEW" text in Section 3 of RFC 8436
(https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8436#section-3)?

Original:
      Pool 3
      codepoints are now "utilized for standards assignments and are no
      longer available for assignment to experimental or local use"
      [RFC8436].

Perhaps:
      Pool 3
      codepoints are now "utilized for standardized assignments (replacing
      the previous availability for experimental or local use)" [RFC8436].
-->

5) <!-- [rfced] Regarding Table 2 references:

a) Neither "Best Effort" nor "CS0" is mentioned in RFC 2474. How
should the second row be updated?

b) "Voice Admit" nor "VA" appears in RFC 5865. How should it
be updated? Perhaps it refers to Call Admission Control?

Current:
                 +  - + - - - - - - - -  - - + - - - - - +
                 | CS | Class Selector       | [RFC2474] |
                 +  - + - - - - - - - -  - - + - - - - - +
                 | BE | Best Effort (CS0)    | [RFC2474] |
                 +  - + - - - - - - - -  - - + - - - - - +
                 | AF | Assured Forwarding   | [RFC2597] |
                 +  - + - - - - - - - -  - - + - - - - - +
                 | EF | Expedited Forwarding | [RFC3246] |
                 +  - + - - - - - - - -  - - + - - - - - +
                 | VA | Voice Admit          | [RFC5865] |
                 +  - + - - - - - - - -  - - + - - - - - +
                 | LE | Lower Effort         | [RFC8622] |
                 +  - + - - - - - - - -  - - + - - - - - +
-->

6) <!--[rfced] Regarding use of ampersand in Section 4.2.1, may it be
replaced with "and" or is the symbol preferred?

Original:
   ... result in the DSCP being re-marked to 'x' & 0x07 and then
   forwarded using the PHB specified...

Perhaps:
   ... result in the DSCP being re-marked to 'x' and 0x07 and then
   forwarded using the PHB specified...
-->

7) <!-- [rfced] What do "Section 5.1.2" and "Section 4.1" refer to -
sections within RFC 8325, IEEE 802.11 UP, or this RFC?

Original:
   RFC8325 [RFC8325] notes inconsistencies that can result from such re-
   marking, and recommends a different mapping to perform this re-
   marking, dependent on the direction in which a packet is forwarded.
   It provides recommendations for mapping a DSCP to an IEEE 802.11 UP
   for interconnection between wired and wireless networks.  The
   recommendation in Section 5.1.2 maps network control traffic, CS6 and
   CS7, as well as unassigned DSCPs, to UP 0 when forwarding in the
   upstream direction (wireless-to-wired).  It also recommends mapping
   CS6 and CS7 traffic to UP 7, when forwarding in the downstream
   direction (Section 4.1).

Perhaps as follows?
- Section 5.1.2 of this document ("Mapping Specified for IEEE 802.11")
- Section 4.1 of RFC 8325 ("Network Control Traffic")
-->

8) <!--[rfced] Regarding Table 5, should the header be updated
as follows or otherwise? The term "Aggregate Class" does not
appear in RFC 8100. Should it be defined within this document?

Original:
   |  RFC8100                             |  DSCP  |
   |  Agg. Class                          |        |

Perhaps:
   | Treatment Aggregate [RFC8100]         |   DSCP   |

Similarly, regarding Table 6, should the header be updated
as follows or otherwise? We note that GSMA IR.34
lists the four "UMTS QoS classes" in Section 6.2.1.
The term "Aggregate Class" does not appear in IR.34.

Original:
   |  GSMA IR.34   |  PHB  |
   |  Agg. Class   |       |

Perhaps:
   | QoS Class in [GSMA-IR.34]           | PHB  |
-->

9) <!-- [rfced] To more clearly indicate the forwarding direction, may we update
the hyphens to "to" in the following?

Original:
   A provider service path may consist of sections where multiple and
   changing layers use their own code points to determine differentiated
   forwarding (e.g., IP - MPLS - IP - Ethernet - Wi-Fi).

Suggested:
   A provider service path may consist of sections where multiple and
   changing layers use their own code points to determine differentiated
   forwarding (e.g., IP to MPLS to IP to Ethernet to Wi-Fi).
-->

10) <!--[rfced] Will the use of ampersand in the title of Section 6.2.1
be clear to readers? Would it be more clear to write the meaning
in prose?

Original:
   6.2.  Where the proposed DSCP > 0x07 (7)
     6.2.1.  Where the proposed DSCP&0x07=0x01
   6.3.  Where the proposed DSCP <= 0x07 (7)
-->

11) <!-- [rfced] Table Headers

a) In Tables 1, 3, and 4, there's an identical line (Tables 1 and 3, last
row; Table 4, top row). Should this row be in a consistent location
of each table (e.g., the top row)?

Identical row:
   + - - - + - -  + - + - + - + - + - + - +
   | 0/CS0 | 1/LE | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
   + - - - + - -  + - + - + - + - + - + - +

b) For Tables 2, 5, and 6, please consider whether any labels should be
added to the columns or rows so that it's clearer to the reader what
the table contains.
-->

12) <!-- [rfced] Terminology

a) Throughout the text, the following terminology appears to be used
inconsistently. May we update to the version on the right?

   ToS Precedence bleaching vs. ToS Precedence Bleaching
   ToS precedence field vs. ToS Precedence field

b) We see that "Traffic Class" and "traffic class" along with the acronym "TC"
are used throughout the document. Would you like to expand the first instance
of these and then use the acronyms in the remainder of the document?  Or do
you prefer the current usage?

c) To avoid confusion with "Access Classes (AC)", may we make
"Access Categories" lowercase?

Original:
   Then, in turn, this is mapped
   to the four Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) Access Categories.

Perhaps:
   Then, in turn, this is mapped
   to the four Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) access categories.

d) FYI, we have added expansions for abbreviations upon first use.
Please review each expansion in the document carefully to ensure
correctness.

DSCP - Differentiated Services Code Point
EF - Expedited Forwarding
EXP - updated "experimental" to "Experimental" per RFC 8126
IPX - IP Packet eXchange
LSR - updated "Label-Switched Router" to "Label Switching Router" per published RFCs
LU - updated "local use" to "Local Use" per RFC 8126
MAC - Media Access Control
MEF - updated "Metro Ethernet Forum" to "MEF Forum"
PDB - updated "Per Domain Behavior" to "Per-Domain Behavior" like "Per-Hop" in PHB
P-GW - updated "Packet Gateway" to "Packet Data Network Gateway"
UMTS - Universal Mobile Telecommunications System
-->

13) <!-- [rfced] Please review whether any of the notes in this document
should be in the <aside> element. It is defined as "a container for
content that is semantically less important or tangential to the
content that surrounds it" (https://authors.ietf.org/rfcxml-vocabulary#aside).
-->

14) <!-- [rfced] Please review the "Inclusive Language" portion of the online
Style Guide <https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/part2/#inclusive_language>
and let us know if any changes are needed.

Note that our script did not flag any words in particular, but this should
still be reviewed as a best practice.
-->

Thank you.

RFC Editor/st/ar