Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9428 <draft-ietf-6lo-nfc-22> for your review

rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org Tue, 13 June 2023 03:27 UTC

To: yhc@etri.re.kr, yonggeun.hong@gmail.com, joosang.youn@gmail.com
From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, 6lo-ads@ietf.org, 6lo-chairs@ietf.org, carlesgo@entel.upc.edu, ek.ietf@gmail.com, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:27:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9428 <draft-ietf-6lo-nfc-22> for your review

Authors,

While reviewing this document during AUTH48, please resolve (as necessary)
the following questions, which are also in the XML file.

1) <!-- [rfced] Please insert any keywords (beyond those that appear in the
title) for use on https://www.rfc-editor.org/search. -->

2) <!-- [rfced] We are having trouble parsing this sentence.  Please
consider whether the suggested update clarifies the text.

Original:
   In order to benefit from Internet connectivity, it is desirable for
   NFC-enabled devices to support IPv6, considering its large address
   space, along with tools for unattended operation, among other
   advantages.

Perhaps:
   In order to benefit from Internet connectivity, it is desirable for
   NFC-enabled devices to support IPv6 because of its large address space
   and the availability of tools for unattended operation, along with other
   advantages.
-->

3) <!-- [rfced] May we rephrase the following text to form a complete
sentence?  Please consider whether the suggested update conveys the
intended meaning.

Original:
An IPv6 datagram is transmitted by the Logical Link Control Protocol
(LLCP) with guaranteed delivery, two-way transmission of information
between the peer devices.

Perhaps:
An IPv6 datagram is transmitted by the LLCP with guaranteed delivery
and two-way transmission of information between the peer devices. -->

4) <!-- [rfced] We have a few questions regarding expansions.

a) Is "RF" the expansion of "radio frequency" in this context?

Original:
The MAC Mapping integrates an existing RF protocol into the LLCP
architecture.

Perhaps:
The MAC Mapping integrates an existing radio frequency (RF) protocol
into the LLCP architecture.

b) Please confirm that I PDU expands to Information Field in an LLCP
Protocol Data Unit.

Original (from Section 3.2):
   In order to send an IPv6 packet over NFC, the packet MUST be passed
   down to the LLCP layer of NFC and carried by an Information Field in
   an LLCP Protocol Data Unit (I PDU).

If this is correct, should "information field" be removed from this
sentence in section 3.4 because it's redundant with "I"?

Original:
   The information field of an I PDU contains a single service data
   unit.

Perhaps:
   The I PDU contains a single service data
   unit.

c) FYI - We have added expansions for abbreviations upon first use
per Section 3.6 of RFC 7322 ("RFC Style Guide"). Please review each
expansion in the document carefully to ensure correctness. -->

5) <!-- [rfced] Should "value" be plural?  Is there a value for the Source
Service Access Point (SSAP) and another for the Destination Service Access
Point (DSAP)?

Original:
   The LLCP to IPv6 protocol
   binding MUST transfer the Source Service Access Point (SSAP) and
   Destination Service Access Point (DSAP) value to the IPv6 over NFC
   adaptation layer.
-->

6) <!-- [rfced] May we rephrase the following sentence to limit the use of
"over"?

Original:
The latter can still be supported over IPv6 over NFC, albeit without
the performance optimization of header compression.

Perhaps:
The latter can still be supported by IPv6 over NFC, albeit without
the performance optimization of header compression. -->

7) <!-- [rfced] We have rephrased the following text to make the
introduction of the abbreviation "RID" more uniform. Please let us know any objections.

Original:
   Following the guidance of [RFC7136], interface identifiers of all
   unicast addresses for NFC-enabled devices are 64 bits long and
   constructed by using the generation algorithm of random (but stable)
   identifier (RID) [RFC7217].

Current:
   Following the guidance of [RFC7136], IIDs of all
   unicast addresses for NFC-enabled devices are 64 bits long and
   constructed by using the generation algorithm of random
   identifiers (RIDs) that are stable [RFC7217]. -->

8) <!-- [rfced] Please consider whether the following suggested update is
correct.

Original:
   NFC supports mesh topologies, but most of all
   applications would use a simple multi-hop network topology or
   directly connected peer-to-peer network because NFC RF range is very
   short.

Suggested:
   NFC supports mesh topologies, but most
   applications would use a simple multi-hop network topology or
   be directly connected a peer-to-peer network because the NFC RF
   range is very short.
-->

9) <!-- [rfced] Section 4.4: Is this a sequence of events (that is, they
happen in order) or do both occur when an NFC 6LN is directly connected to
a 6LBR?

Original:
   *  When an NFC 6LoWPAN Node (6LN) is directly connected to an 6LBR,
      the 6LN MUST register its address with the 6LBR by sending
      Neighbor Solicitation (NS) with the Extended Address Registration
      Option (EARO) [RFC8505], and Neighbor Advertisement (NA) is
      started.

Current:
      When an NFC 6LN is directly connected to a 6LBR,
      the 6LN MUST register its address with the 6LBR by sending
      Neighbor Solicitation (NS) with the Extended Address Registration
      Option (EARO) [RFC8505]; then Neighbor Advertisement (NA) is
      started. -->

10) <!-- [rfced] Should "LN" read as "6LN"? There is no usage of "LN" on
its own throughout the document.  Or does this refer to LoWPAN?

Original:
When two or more NFC LNs are connected to the 6LBR, two cases of
topologies can be formed...In the multi-hop topology, LNs which have two or
more links with neighbor nodes may act as routers. In star topology, any of
LNs can be a router.

Perhaps:
When two or more NFC 6LNs are connected to the 6LBR, two cases of
topologies can be formed... In the multi-hop topology, 6LNs which have two or
more links with neighbor nodes may act as routers. In star topology, any of
6LNs can be a router. -->

11) <!-- [rfced] The IANA entry for LOWPAN_IPHC includes references to both
[RFC6282] and [RFC8025].  Should these both be listed in Table 1?

See https://www.iana.org/assignments/_6lowpan-parameters

Original (Figure 6) - note that lines have been removed so the text could
be included in the XML as comments::

              |  Pattern   | Header Type        | Reference |
              | 01  1xxxxx | LOWPAN_IPHC        | [RFC6282] |

-->

12) <!-- [rfced] We have updated the text in section 7.  However, it is
unclear to us whether the bulleted text is quoted from [LLCP-1.4] because
we do not have access to the document.  Please review and let us know if
reversions are needed to match what appears in the referenced
specification.

Original:
   Per the NFC Logical Link Control Protocol [LLCP-1.4]:

   *  LLCP of NFC provides protection of user data to ensure
      confidentiality of communications.  The confidentiality mechanism
      involves the encryption of user service data with a secret key
      that has been established during link activation.

   *  LLCP of NFC has two modes (i.e., ad-hoc mode and authenticated
      mode) for secure data transfer.  Ad-hoc secure data transfer can
      be established between two communication parties without any prior
      knowledge of the communication partner.  Ad-hoc secure data
      transfer can be vulnerable to Man-In-The-Middle (MITM) attacks.
      Authenticated secure data transfer provides protection against
      Man-In-The-Middle (MITM) attacks.  In the initial bonding step,
      the two communicating parties store a shared secret along with a
      Bonding Identifier.

   *  For all subsequent interactions, the communicating parties re-use
      the shared secret and compute only the unique encryption key for
      that session.  Secure data transfer is based on the cryptographic
      algorithms defined in the NFC Authentication Protocol [NAP-1.0].
-->

13) <!-- [rfced] We have updated the following references to more closely
align with the information provided at the URL.  In particular, the dates
were updated to reflect the noted adoption dates.  Please let us know if
any corrections are needed.

Original:
[LLCP-1.4] NFC Forum, "NFC Logical Link Control Protocol, Version
           1.4", NFC Forum Technical Specification , January 2021,
           <https://nfc-forum.org/build/specifications>.

Current:
   [LLCP-1.4] NFC Forum, "Logical Link Control Protocol Technical
              Specification", Version 1.4, December 2022,
              <https://nfc-forum.org/build/specifications>.

Original:
[NAP-1.0]  NFC Forum, "NFC Authentication Protocol Candidate
           Technical Specification, Version 1.0", NFC Forum Technical
           Specification , December 2020,
           <https://nfc-forum.org/build/specifications>.

Current:
   [NAP-1.0]  NFC Forum, "NFC Authentication Protocol Technical
              Specification", Verison 1.0, December 2022,
              <https://nfc-forum.org/build/specifications>.
-->

14) <!-- [rfced] We have a few questions regarding terminology in this
document.

a) Throughout the text, the terms "IPv6 over NFC" and "IPv6-over-NFC"
appear to be used inconsistently. We have used the hyphenated form when the
"IPv6-over-NFC" modifies the noun that follows.  Please review and let us
know if any updates are needed.

b) We note that "IPv6-LLCP Binding" is used throughout the document. May we
replace "LLCP to IPv6 protocol binding" with "IPv6-LLCP Binding" for
consistency?

Original:
   The LLCP to IPv6 protocol
   binding MUST transfer the Source Service Access Point (SSAP) and
   Destination Service Access Point (DSAP) value to the IPv6 over NFC
   adaptation layer.

Perhaps:
   IPv6-LLCP Binding MUST transfer the Source Service Access Point (SSAP)
   and Destination Service Access Point (DSAP) value to the IPv6-over-NFC
   adaptation layer.

c) We note that "NFC Physical Layer" and "NFC Logical Link Layer" are
capitalized consistently throughout the document.  Should "adaptation
layer" also be capitalized, for example, IPv6-over-NFC adaptation layer and
NFC adaptation layer?  Is "adaptation layer" lowercased when it's part a
nickname for "Adaptation Layer for IPv6 over NFC"?

-->

15) <!-- [rfced] Please review the "Inclusive Language" portion of the
online Style Guide
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/part2/#inclusive_language> and let
us know if any changes are needed. For example, please consider whether
"man-in-the-middle" should be updated. -->

Thank you.

RFC Editor