Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9346 <draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc5316bis-07> for your review

Alanna Paloma <apaloma@amsl.com> Fri, 06 January 2023 20:47 UTC

From: Alanna Paloma <apaloma@amsl.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 12:47:35 -0800
Cc: "rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org" <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, "mach.chen@huawei.com" <mach.chen@huawei.com>, "stefano@previdi.net" <stefano@previdi.net>, "duanxiaodong@chinamobile.com" <duanxiaodong@chinamobile.com>, "lsr-ads@ietf.org" <lsr-ads@ietf.org>, "lsr-chairs@ietf.org" <lsr-chairs@ietf.org>, "chopps@chopps.org" <chopps@chopps.org>, "auth48archive@rfc-editor.org" <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "jgs@juniper.net" <jgs@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9346 <draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc5316bis-07> for your review

Hi Les and *John,

*John - As the AD, please review and approve of the added text in Section 3.4.4 in the following diff file:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9346-auth48diff.html

Thank you for your reply.  We have updated as requested. We have a follow-up question regarding the query below.

>> 10) <!-- [rfced] Questions about names of TLVs and Sub-TLVs
>>
>> a) The following TLVs and sub-TLVs are defined in this document (some were
>> originally defined in RFC 5316). We note some inconsistencies in the names.
>> We
>> listed the form used in the IANA section followed by the form(s) appearing in
>> general text. Please review and let us know which form you prefer. Note
>> that
>> the capitalized form seems more common when looking through the TLVs
>> listed at
>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/isis-tlv-codepoints.
>>
>> If any changes are made that affect the registries at
>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/isis-tlv-codepoints, we will ask IANA to
>> update the registries accordingly.
>
> [LES:]It is desirable to have consistency between what is used in the text and what is used in the IANA registries. The only caveat seems to be that when a TLV/sub-TLV name appears as the title of a section there seems to be a practice of capitalizing even when a particular word is NOT capitalized when the name is used in the body of the document. This seems to include the term “Sub-TLV”/”sub-TLV” as well.
> If you are willing to insure that the document and the IANA registry are fully consistent then I prefer the capitalized forms for all words.

We note that you prefer the terms below  to be capitalized, but as there is a variance in what appears in the IANA registrations and what appears in the text, please let us know which form is preferable so that these can be made consistent. Should “TLV”/"Sub-TLV” appear after the terms? Whichever form is chosen, we will capitalize it and make it consistent between the text and the IANA registries.

inter-AS reachability information - IANA Considerations section
inter-AS reachability TLV
Inter-AS Reachability TLV

remote AS number - IANA Considerations section and table in Section 3.2
Remote AS Number sub-TLV
remote AS number sub-TLV

IPv4 remote ASBR identifier - IANA Considerations section and table in Section 3.2
IPv4 Remote ASBR ID Sub-TLV
IPv4 remote ASBR ID sub-TLV

IPv6 remote ASBR identifier - IANA Considerations section and table in Section 3.2
IPv6 Remote ASBR ID Sub-TLV
IPv6 remote ASBR ID sub-TLV

IPv6 local ASBR identifier - IANA Considerations section and table in Section 3.2
IPv6 Local ASBR ID sub-TLV
IPv6 Local ASBR identifier sub-TLV

The files have been posted here (please refresh):
https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9346.xml
https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9346.txt
https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9346.html
https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9346.pdf

The relevant diff files have been posted here:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9346-diff.html (comprehensive diff)
https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9346-auth48diff.html (AUTH48 changes)

Please review the document carefully and contact us with any further updates you may have.  Note that we do not make changes once a document is published as an RFC.

We will await approvals from each party listed on the AUTH48 status page below prior to moving this document forward in the publication process.

For the AUTH48 status of this document, please see:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9346

Thank you,
RFC Editor/ap