Re: [Autoconf] AUTOCONF Problem Statement: reviews needed.

"Simone Ruffino" <simone.ruffino@telecomitalia.it> Wed, 20 February 2008 16:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:26:49 +0100
From: Simone Ruffino <simone.ruffino@telecomitalia.it>
To: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] AUTOCONF Problem Statement: reviews needed.
Sender: autoconf-bounces@ietf.org

Teco,

Teco Boot wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
> Maybe it is true that is some "unmanaged and open" wired networks, the
> multi-homing issue can arise. But I think the hosts can deal with this
> issue, by selecting a default gateway. And yes, there is a relation between
> the selected gateway and the generated SLAAC address.
> I think that in a open, wireless network where we introduce a MANET
> protocol, the problem is out-of-control. The MANET Router connected hosts do
> not have any idea of the MANET topology and I do not see a method that these
> nodes can select a source address, other than try and error.
> The MANET Router itself could perform an internal MANET topology table
> lookup and try to detect the egress to the Internet, and use corresponding
> source address. I think this method does not work in all cases, e.g. session
> continuity during movement is a problem.

:D

FYI, we have implemented (and documented in a expired draft) a solution
that exactly does that.
And, it is integrated with Mobile IPv6.
I've experimented many times that choosing the wrong border router
(e.g., picking the first one that MNR hears) can tear a voice call down
when MANET topology changes. Instead, with the mechanism you're
suggesting, the best possible performance is guaranteed.

Only problem: solution was designed for a multi-link subnet MANET model,
but I think the underlying principle (ruoting table lookup to find best
source address) is still sound.