RE: [Autoconf] About an update ofdraft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey

Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es> Mon, 12 March 2007 10:35 UTC

Subject: RE: [Autoconf] About an update ofdraft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey
From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>
To: Joe Macker <joseph.macker@nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:35:37 +0100
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org, 'Alicia Triviño' <atc@dte.uma.es>

Hi Joe,

El vie, 09-03-2007 a las 16:48 -0500, Joe Macker escribió:
> A quick comment unless I missed it in the first reading. While not a general
> approach for merging/fragmenting there have been MANET autoconfiguration
> approaches using dhcp relay and distributed RADV with for simple stub
> connected MANET deployments.  These are pragmatic approaches and should be
> mentioned along with their respective deployment limitations.  The best
> practices are a little different in that you don’t want to assign the pooled
> address prefix to the interface but rather a set of subprefixes possibly a
> host specific prefix.  DHCP configurations support this with little or no
> protocol modifications (e.g., pass specific prefix with the assignment).
>
> I am not suggesting this as the general approach, but wanted to point out
> this has been done for working stub MANET networks and perhaps should be
> mentioned in a comprehensive survey of existing methods.  There may be other
> references but there are some example uses and discussion in:

	I agree with you, and I think this kind of approach should be also
included in the survey. The first version was an (incomplete) vision of
the solutions that were there one year ago. My idea is to update the
draft with the solution I missed and with the new ones that have been
proposed so far (some of them as a result of the discussions within the
WG).

	Kind Regards,

	Carlos