Re: [Autoconf] About an update ofdraft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey

"Simone Ruffino" <simone.ruffino@telecomitalia.it> Mon, 12 March 2007 16:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:27:20 +0100
From: Simone Ruffino <simone.ruffino@telecomitalia.it>
To: cjbc@it.uc3m.es
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] About an update ofdraft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org

Hi Carlos,

Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> El vie, 09-03-2007 a las 16:48 -0500, Joe Macker escribió:
>
>> A quick comment unless I missed it in the first reading. While not a general
>> approach for merging/fragmenting there have been MANET autoconfiguration
>> approaches using dhcp relay and distributed RADV with for simple stub
>> connected MANET deployments.  These are pragmatic approaches and should be
>> mentioned along with their respective deployment limitations.  The best
>> practices are a little different in that you don’t want to assign the pooled
>> address prefix to the interface but rather a set of subprefixes possibly a
>> host specific prefix.  DHCP configurations support this with little or no
>> protocol modifications (e.g., pass specific prefix with the assignment).
>>
>> I am not suggesting this as the general approach, but wanted to point out
>> this has been done for working stub MANET networks and perhaps should be
>> mentioned in a comprehensive survey of existing methods.  There may be other
>> references but there are some example uses and discussion in:
>>

> 	I agree with you, and I think this kind of approach should be also
> included in the survey. The first version was an (incomplete) vision of
> the solutions that were there one year ago. My idea is to update the
> draft with the solution I missed and with the new ones that have been
> proposed so far (some of them as a result of the discussions within the
> WG).

I also think an update of your draft would be useful for the WG.

I personally would like to understand if the different solutions support
the MANET architecture model described in draft-ietf-autoconf-manetarch.
In particular, it would be good to know if they assume a multi-link
subnet model or if they are able to configure addresses and prefixes as
specified in the architecture draft.

Thanks and regards,
Simone

> 	Kind Regards,
>
> 	Carlos
>

>> Macker, J.P. and M.S. Corson, "Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Routing Technology
>> for Dynamic, Wireless Networks", S. Basagni et al., eds., Mobile Ad Hoc
>> Networking, Chapter 9, IEEE Press, 2003.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to webmaster@telecomitalia.it.

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it