RE: [Autoconf] RE: [Manemo] FW: I-DACTION:draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp-05.txt

"Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com> Mon, 19 February 2007 15:07 UTC

Subject: RE: [Autoconf] RE: [Manemo] FW: I-DACTION:draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp-05.txt
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:07:44 -0500
From: "Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com>
To: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>, alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org, manemo@mobileip.jp, "Chakeres, Ian D" <ian.d.chakeres@boeing.com>, manet@ietf.org, "Yi, Seung" <Seung.Yi@boeing.com>

Fred,

I have read your draft in depth once.  Still parsing.  Overall I think
there is far to much state but that may be required in reality. Do not
support your using CGA because to much IPR in real life for vendors to
absorb (not just vendors here but SDR and Radio Net vendors you and I
know all to well :--)), and there are no vendors coming on board to use
CGA at this time, but this is less of an IETF comment and more of a if
this happens this won't work (e.g. CGA) IMHO. I think optimization from
manemo discussion perspective is also the use of NA and NS from node
directly too in addition to RS and RA annoucements.  I do like the DHCP
enhancement but need to go through what that means and for an ad hoc net
having such a server will not always be possible (e.g. Fire Dept
appearing on 911 scene, NATO bluelight or 101st airborne spec ops
mission), but if enhanced with MESH network properties that is very
possible.  But then we could put very small server on microprocessor I
guess :--).  I like the term virtual ethernet but believe subnetting is
important for large ad hoc network, and think that would add value to
the spec to distribute nodes across a large ad hoc network and manemo
has ideas on this too that impact NEMO. I was not clear I could apply
NEMO architecture to the autoconf architecture, which I think is
important. ULA is fine for intra MLA communications but nodes will
require global addresses to obtain peer-to-peer to external networks via
MBRs (my assumption here?) and that was not clear to me how that happens
in your draft but need to keep reading :--).

This is good work and manemo needs to parse what you and other authors
are proposing in AUTOCONF.  I had to get off AUTOCONF list did not find
it useful is your work achieving consensus in the WG as working group
draft item?  I don't mind jumping back into AUTOCONF list if they are
moving forward with solution architectures as opposed to brain storming?
I believe one outcome of manemo is autoconfiguration thus might require
some collaboration with you and others within AUTOCONF or we come to
AUTOCONF and roll up our sleeves?

Good work/spec as always Fred, and way better than what we have for
today in real life for ad hoc nets.

Thanks
/jim