Re: AW: [AVT] More comments on draft-rey-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-01.txt

Dave Singer <singer@apple.com> Tue, 11 November 2003 18:45 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:43:56 -0800
To: Jose Rey <rey@panasonic.de>, jan.vandermeer@philips.com, 'IETF AVT WG' <avt@ietf.org>
From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Subject: Re: AW: [AVT] More comments on draft-rey-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-01.txt
Cc: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Yoshinori Matsui <matsui.yoshinori@jp.panasonic.com>
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

At 17:27 +0100 11/11/03, Jose Rey wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>for those that did not attend the AVT session on Monday, there was a
>number of comments and useful feedback during the timed text
>presentation.
>
>In particular, it was suggested that the draft sticks too much to the
>3gp file format itself and does not look at the particularities of the
>RTP transport (Colin please correct me if the language is wrong).
>Currently the draft just reads the text samples from the 3gp file and
>puts them into RTP packets. If a packet is too big for one RTP packet
>then it is cut and a fragment header is used to be able to interpret the
>information in that fragment. As long as fragmentation happens rarely
>then this could be the best option.
>
>On the other side, there's the option (which I call 'pure ALF approach'
>in the slides) to preprocess the data read from the 3gp file before
>packetising. This preprocessing would not only cut the text samples to
>fix the RTP packet size but also re-arrange the packets so that the
>fragments are not only self-contained but contain all the decorations.
>This approach requires to define extra headers for the cases in which
>the modifier boxes would have to be split into several RTP packets.
>
>You can download some clarifying slides at
>http://www.pel.panasonic.de/ietf/docs/tt-design.pdf in pdf format or
>from http://www.pel.panasonic.de/ietf/docs/tt-design.ppt in MSPowerPoint
>format.
>
>The current approach makes sense if the text samples are regularly small
>and one or several of them fit into an RTP packet. Fragmentation would
>happen seldom. The 'pure alf approach' is, in general, the most correct
>one, and so also the one that requires more header definitions. If
>fragmentation is a rare event, this overhead may be not worth (?).  The
>question to the group is pretty simple: which approach should be
>pursued?

I think we can find a middle ground.  I think
that text samples over 512 bytes are quite rare,
and over 1400 bytes very rare indeed.  I don't
mind going to a format which is less file-format
centric, but I don't think we should spend a lot
of time optimizing fragmented text access units.

>We appreciate your feedback,
>
>cheers,
>

>Jose

David Singer