AW: [AVT] More comments on draft-rey-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-01.txt

José Rey <rey@panasonic.de> Mon, 10 November 2003 20:03 UTC

From: José Rey <rey@panasonic.de>
To: jan.vandermeer@philips.com, 'IETF AVT WG' <avt@ietf.org>
Cc: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, 'Dave Singer' <singer@apple.com>, Yoshinori Matsui <matsui.yoshinori@jp.panasonic.com>
Subject: AW: [AVT] More comments on draft-rey-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-01.txt
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:02:25 +0100
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Jan, all,

This is a good question which I will also ask during my presentation on
Monday.  This is a question which certainly needs feedback of the group.
The complexity can be reduced, we have to agree where to cut down: do we
need the MTSF headers? or do we want to just keep resiliency for plain
text fragments?, for example.  PT multiplexing will probably be
abandoned for a simpler scheme.

> - is it desirable to define a 3GPP timed text transport solution based
> on draft-rey-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-01.txt next to the one
> that will be
> available based on RFC#simple;

Allowing both would mean that one does not have to implement RFC#simple
in order to transport timed text, which I think is desireable.

> - is it desirable that draft-rey-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-01.txt
> specifies a mode or an extension of RFC#simple;

Would this mean that the RFC#simple has to be implemented to use the
draft? I think this is not a good idea.

> - how can a timing conflict (if any) between release 6 of
> 3GPP and part
> 17 of MPEG-4 be resolved (note that such conflict will only exist if
> 3GPP adopts streaming of timed text as a work item and if 3GPP decides
> that this functionality has to be in release 6).

We are targetting to include this in Release 6 (03/04). According to
your information above MPEG4 timed text will be ready in July'04, which
is out of the deadline. Apart from that, current Release 6 does not use
the RFC#simple for streaming... so one would not be able to use timed
text in Release 6.

Assuming timed text comes into the Release 6 agenda, what I would like
to know is what should, in your opinion, the current draft include in
order to consider the MPEG work and the possible extensions it may
incorporate ?. It is now the time to talk about these issues if the
draft shall consider the MPEG work.

> I hope you will have a fruitful discussion on this subject in
> Mineapolis.

You can dowload the session slides and take  a look at the presentation
which is related to this email.

cheers,

Jose