[AVT] draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-09.txt submitted

Tom Taylor <taylor@nortel.com> Wed, 15 June 2005 14:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:18:38 -0400
From: Tom Taylor <taylor@nortel.com>
To: avt@ietf.org
Cc: scott.petrack@edial.com, hgs@cs.columbia.edu
Subject: [AVT] draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-09.txt submitted
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

I have submitted draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-09.txt.  The substantive
changes from -08 followed largely from comments by Magnus.  I also did
another editorial pass to clarify the odd point.  Here are the changes
in detail.

1. Deleted an erroneous mention of floating point for the "rate"
parameter in section 2.4.

2. Moved the "Application Considerations" from section 5, since they
dealt with events only.  I merged them with the old "Reliability"
section 2.6 into a single much re-written section on "Congestion and
Performance".  Magnus indicated that our Chairs are encouraging the
inclusion of a discussion on adjusting to congestion in AVT
documentation in general.  I'm hoping the one I've put together is helpful.

The rewritten 2.6 is mainly advice -- there are only two normative
sentences:

   "Where Section 2.5.1.4 indicates that it is appropriate to use the
    RFC 2198 [2] audio redundancy mechanism to carry retransmissions
    of final event reports, this mechanism MAY also be used to extend
    the number of final report retransmissions."

This was old text.  I deleted the proposal of exponential back-off on
extra events that I had added previously somewhere in that paragraph,
realizing that it was inappropriate in this context.

   "In view of the tradeoffs between the different reliability
    mechanisms, documentation of specific events SHOULD include a
    discussion of the appropriate design decisions for the applications
    of those events."

2. Expanded discussion of DTMF applications in its own sub-section.
Tossed in a description of DTMF-based text messaging, since it really
belongs here as much as in the V.18 discussion in 2833bisdata.  Added a
subsection on congestion handling as it affects DTMF events.

3. Added a subsection on congestion handling for the tones payload.

4. Modified the "IANA Considerations" section to use the exact
terminology of RFC 2434.  I added considerations for the expert reviewer
to apply in reviewing documents from non-IETF bodies seeking to register
additional events.  This advice springs from my uncertainty about my
authority in reviewing requests to register new Megaco packages.  Please
have a look.

Tom Taylor