[AVT] Re: [MMUSIC] time-lined static media with FLUTE & IMG

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Thu, 30 October 2003 09:43 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:41:34 +0100
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Takeshi Yoshimura <yoshimura@spg.yrp.nttdocomo.co.jp>
CC: Rod.Walsh@nokia.com, finlayson@live.com, avt@ietf.org
Subject: [AVT] Re: [MMUSIC] time-lined static media with FLUTE & IMG
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

The static media draft is dead. I have no plans of updating it as I
currently don't think it is the right approach to the problem. The usage
of RTP actually seems rather unnecessary. Most of the functionality in
RTP is not at all needed and other things where missing. Here I find the
FLUTE solution more addressing the problems around binary object
transport for multicast. However I don't know its performance for
unicast, however for any unicast session HTTP is probably usable if one
can schedule the GET command appropriately and to know when to stop
requesting because it is to late.

The FLUTE solution are still missing many vital parts to my
understanding. The first is how to achieve the synchronization. One
could for example use SMIL however this requires one to have resolved
how one performs the referencing to downloaded binary objects. To my
understanding a defined cache utilizing FLUTEs source URI declaration
could be a possibility. There also seem to be shortcoming that no real
effort has been made into defining how the session declaration should be
made.

The usage of RFC 2733 or ULP does not seem to provide the necessary FEC
performance to be used in multicast delivery, at least not for objects
larger than a few packets. However this is not my expertise area, but I
assume there are good reasons why more advanced algorithms like
reed-solomon or tornado codes seem to be used in the area.

I don't think this problem space has any straightforward solutions. It
is hard problems, requiring well thought through solutions. There is
definitely need to do more work in the area.

My personal feeling in regards to MBMS is that the work is to hurried to
be able to produce a good solution.

As a conclusion to the original question, I would say that the
application of FLUTE for time-lined static media delivery as combination
to multicasted continuos media like audio and video requires further
investigation.

Cheers

Magnus

--

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com