[AVT] RE: [MMUSIC] time-lined static media with FLUTE & IMG

Ivica Rimac <ivica.rimac@KOM.tu-darmstadt.de> Tue, 16 December 2003 23:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:00:29 +0100
From: Ivica Rimac <ivica.rimac@KOM.tu-darmstadt.de>
To: avt@ietf.org
Subject: [AVT] RE: [MMUSIC] time-lined static media with FLUTE & IMG
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

we are also thinking of an application combining live streaming of
continuous media with time-lined static media objects. The idea is to
transfer slides of a lecture (binary static object) synchronized with
the spoken explaination (audio).

Looking into the FLUTE draft, it seems to already provide the necessary
means for reliable transfer of time-lined static media: providing
additional timing attributes to the FDT. With the latter and the RTP
timing information, the application can synchronize both media objects.

Now since Magnus does not think there is a straightforward solution, I
am wondering where I might be wrong?

Has there been any follow-up discussion?

> Hi Magnus,
>
> It was good to learn of your views on Flute! We have been thinking on similar lines about the possible use SMIL for synchronizing Flute transfers with media streams. The use of SDP for describing the sessions of the FLUTE protocol has been in the plans. We have also been preliminarily considering the use of both SMIL and SDP for our work on Internet Media Guides in MMUSIC.
>
> Looking forward to seeing you in Minneapolis!
>
> -Pekka
>
> -------------------
> Juha-Pekka Luoma
> Nokia Research Center
> Tampere, Finland

Best regards,

|               KOM - Multimedia Communications                 |
| Department of Electrical Engineering & Information Technology |
|              Darmstadt University of Technology               |
|                    email: Ivica.Rimac@kom.tu-darmstadt.de     |
|     Merckstr. 25   tel.:  +49-6151-16-6112  (Fax -6152)       |
|  64283 Darmstadt   http://www.kom.e-technik.tu-darmstadt.de   |