Re: [AVT] AVT Charter update

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Tue, 02 September 2003 16:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:29:55 +0100
Subject: Re: [AVT] AVT Charter update
Cc: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
To: "Michael A. Ramalho" <mramalho@cisco.com>
From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Michael,

On Tuesday, Sep 2, 2003, at 15:17 Europe/London, Michael A. Ramalho
wrote:
> My question regards the RGL freeware codec (see www.vovida.org or
> draft-ramalho-rgl-desc-01.txt).
>
> As the AVT chairs know, RGL is really a LOSSLESS COMPRESSION technique
> (which I
> now wished that I named "RGL compression" instead of "RGL codec"). RGL
> performs NO
> SIGNAL PROCESSING on the underlying G.711 PCM frame provided as input
> to it.
>
> Therefore the rationale provided in the proposed AVT Charter for not
> codifying "new codecs" does not apply:
>
> "The group continues to be precluded from work on codecs themselves
> because of overlap with the other standards bodies, and because the
> IETF does not have the ability to effectively review new codecs."
>
> As AVT specifies other compression techniques (e.g., Compressed RTP
> framework), the
> necessary expertise to review RGL clearly exists in AVT.
>
> Questions:
> Could RGL be explicitly included? Should I re-name RGL to "RGL
> compression"?
> Could the Charter specifically include compression techniques on codec
> output
> frames themselves (as RGL does for G.711)?

It is appropriate for AVT to work on the payload format for RGL, and to
provide advice on aspects of the codec design which might impact
performance with RTP and UDP/IP. The compression algorithm is outside
our scope, and we will not accept that work.

Other organisations have experience in audio/visual compression
algorithms, and we feel it more appropriate that codec work occur
there. If, however, you consider it important that the IETF has a codec
design activity, you should consider raising the issue with the
Applications Area Directors, as a potential new working group.

> [As you know, other lossy codecs will normally attempt to remove
> payload redundancy
> and render the resulting lossy codec output relatively random ... so
> this issue is moot for iLBC, BV8, G.729, etc.]
>
> Lastly, I note that it is a reasonable expectation that other
> "lossless payload compression" techniques may use similar techniques.
> For example:
>
> 1 - streaming of real-time MRI images - where the medical
> professionals want "lossless" frames or "no" image frames (you don't
> want to diagnose off of a lossy compression created artifact), or
>
> 2 - satellite imaging from outer space probes where you desire
> lossless compression
> (one of Professor Rice's - of Rice coding fame - initial applications).
>
> [One could argue traditional IETF reliable transports for 1, but not
> for 2].

In both these examples, I would regard the compression as being outside
the scope of AVT. Again, we would be happy to provide advice on the
properties of the compression and on appropriate strategies for mapping
such data onto RTP, but we would leave the definition of the
compression to the domain experts.

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/