Re: [AVT] AVT Charter update

"Michael A. Ramalho" <mramalho@cisco.com> Tue, 02 September 2003 14:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:17:10 -0400
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
From: "Michael A. Ramalho" <mramalho@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] AVT Charter update
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

At 02:33 PM 9/2/2003 +0200, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In Vienna we chairs presented a proposal for a new charter for the WG. We
>have now made some smaller updates:
>- One editorial change removing the word RFC from the bullet regarding RTP
>payload format being advanced to draft standard.
>- Added milestones for iLBC and RTP framing over TCP and TLS.
>
>The WG is given one more week (until the 9th of September) for review, we
>will then submit it for approval by the Area Director. Please send any
>comments to the list or the chairs.

Magnus/Colin,

In regard to new "codecs".

I understand the iLBC exception, as AVT has been working this issue with
iLBC for quite a while.

My question regards the RGL freeware codec (see www.vovida.org or
draft-ramalho-rgl-desc-01.txt).

As the AVT chairs know, RGL is really a LOSSLESS COMPRESSION technique (which I
now wished that I named "RGL compression" instead of "RGL codec"). RGL
performs NO
SIGNAL PROCESSING on the underlying G.711 PCM frame provided as input to it.

Therefore the rationale provided in the proposed AVT Charter for not
codifying "new codecs"
does not apply:

"The group continues to be precluded from work on codecs themselves because
of overlap with
the other standards bodies, and because the IETF does not have the ability
to effectively
review new codecs."

As AVT specifies other compression techniques (e.g., Compressed RTP
framework), the
necessary expertise to review RGL clearly exists in AVT.

Questions:
Could RGL be explicitly included? Should I re-name RGL to "RGL compression"?
Could the Charter specifically include compression techniques on codec output
frames themselves (as RGL does for G.711)?

[As you know, other lossy codecs will normally attempt to remove payload
redundancy
and render the resulting lossy codec output relatively random ... so this
issue is moot
for iLBC, BV8, G.729, etc.]

Lastly, I note that it is a reasonable expectation that other "lossless
payload compression"
techniques may use similar techniques. For example:

1 - streaming of real-time MRI images - where the medical professionals
want "lossless"
frames or "no" image frames (you don't want to diagnose off of a lossy
compression
created artifact), or

2 - satellite imaging from outer space probes where you desire lossless
compression
(one of Professor Rice's - of Rice coding fame - initial applications).

[One could argue traditional IETF reliable transports for 1, but not for 2].

We don't need the ITU-T/ETSI/etc. organization's expertise for these
"lossless payload
compression" applications either.

Best Regards,

Michael Ramalho