Re: [AVT] FW: New Version Notification fordraft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames-01

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Thu, 20 May 2010 13:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 06:03:03 -0700
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>, "Dan Wing (dwing)" <dwing@cisco.com>, avt@ietf.org
Cc: draft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] FW: New Version Notification fordraft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames-01

What does "locate the source" imply?

We also saw this text the other day and actually I wanna understand this a bit more. The concern Dan is raising is valid in my opinion. The current 3 methods we have in the draft are sticky. If one uses the same CNAME in totally irrelevant RTP sessions, a monitoring agent can still infer that those users are the same person. For several reasons, this is not a good thing. That's why I am inclined to include Dan's suggestion (e.g., hashing) as the 4th method for those who want to take that option. We will also mention this risk in the sec. section.

> Other comments
>
> 1. For the UUID I assume the proposal is to use the string representation of
> the UUID maybe as a URN.

This is the second issue and let's have WG's input on this. Do we need ascii CNAMEs or not? Does it everything need to be encoded in base64?

> 2. As for the structure of CNAME, section 6.5.1 of RFC 3550 has the cname
> composed of user and domain name. it also says that
> "The user name SHOULD be in a form that a program such as "finger" or "talk"
> could use, i.e., it typically is the login name rather than the personal
> name.  The host name is not necessarily identical to the one in the
> participant's electronic mail address. "
> Maybe this document should recommend how to create a unique host part of the
> CNAME and not the whole CNAME.

If the host part is unique, why would we still need user@host?

Thanks for bringing these up. Let's reach an agreement and we will submit a revision accordingly.

-acbegen