Re: [AVT] FW: New Version Notification for draft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames-01

Peter Musgrave <peter.musgrave@magorcorp.com> Tue, 25 May 2010 02:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 22:02:43 -0400
From: Peter Musgrave <peter.musgrave@magorcorp.com>
To: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] FW: New Version Notification for draft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames-01

Hi Ali,

In the context of synchronizing multiple media flows (multiple audio
streams or audio+video) from a unique source - cnames can be useful to
determine which media streams are from a common node and need to be
aligned in time for playback. The use of a session specific cname
would break this usage (or we would require e.g the audio and video
subsystems to agree on a session specific cname - which is an
implementation constraint I would prefer to avoid).

Is it worth mentioning that session specific cnames are not suitable
in cases such as this?

Peter Musgrave