[AVTCORE] Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex-06: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 13 June 2022 16:32 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex@ietf.org, avtcore-chairs@ietf.org, avt@ietf.org, bernard.aboba@gmail.com, bernard.aboba@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:32:42 -0700
Subject: [AVTCORE] Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex-06: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex/

COMMENT:

Thank you for writing this document; like Rob I'm far from an RTP expert, but I
also found it readable and useful.

I do have a question, as well as some nits to try and make if even better.

Question:
"[RFC8285] defines two values for the "defined by profile" field for carrying
one-byte and two-byte header extensions." - RFC8285 defines 0XBEDE, and has a
cute justification. This document defines 0xCODE and 0XC2DE... but it was quite
hard to figure out what the *other* value that RFC8285 defined -- and that's my
issue. Should this document create an IANA registry to track these? Is there
already a registry? E.g: If I magically become an RTP expert and write
draft-ietf-avtcode-even-more-awesome-protocol how do I know not to use any of
these existing numbers?

1: "If BUNDLE is in use and the a=cryptex attribute" - in all of the other
instances where you have 'a=cryptex', you have it enclosed in double-quotes. I
suggest doing so here too for consistency.

2: Section 5.1: "When the mechanism defined by this specification has been
negotiated, sending a RTP packet that has any CSRCs or contains any {RFC8285}}
header extensions follows the steps below." - something went kablooie in your
formatting / markdown / kramdown / whatever and you have an extra '}' breaking
the reference...

3: I got confused when reading "Note that the 4 bytes at the start of the
extension block are not encrypted, as required by [RFC8285]." - it seemed
ambiguous to me. I'd suggest "Note that, as required by [RFC8285], the 4 bytes
at the start of the extension block are not encrypted."

I did already mention that these are nits -- this comes from 'nitpick', which
dictionary.com says is "to be excessively concerned with or critical of
inconsequential details." -- feel free to ignore them :-)