[AVT] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-avt-compact-bundled-evrc-06.txt

"Adam Li" <adamli@hyervision.com> Tue, 20 June 2006 15:19 UTC

From: Adam Li <adamli@hyervision.com>
To: "'Kapoor, Rohit'" <rkapoor@qualcomm.com>, 'Qiaobing Xie' <Qiaobing.Xie@motorola.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:19:41 -0700
Cc: 'Colin Perkins' <csp@csperkins.org>, 'AVT WG' <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: [AVT] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-avt-compact-bundled-evrc-06.txt

Rohit,

Personally I would like a little more detailed explanation for the clarity
for the reader. Section 1.3 is the only place talks about DTX, and it makes
it not so easy to connect the parameters (dtxmax, dtxmin, and hangover) to
the brief description in Section 1.3. Maybe we can move some descriptions of
those parameters to 1.3 to make the DTX process easier to understand from
reader's perspective. This is up to you.

A little more detail for the other issue I mentioned in original comments:
In the asynchronous stream, a default dtxmax of 32 may imply a necessary
buffer of 0.64 seconds. That's more than 1.2 seconds round trip. I would
suggest maybe you can define a default dtxmax different from the 3GPP2
default (which I believe is set with synchronous operation is mind, based on
changing of the silence characteristics). And I think definitely it would be
helpful to point out the impact of dtxmax on the detection delay, which some
text such as "Note that the dtxmax parameter will affect the amount of delay
the RTP receivers have to have for detecting DTX in the stream" in
corresponding places in Section 6.

Hope it helps.

Adam