Re: [AVT] The storage format of EVRC/SMV vocoder (resent)

Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com> Wed, 23 April 2003 22:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:29:55 -0700
To: Adam Li <adamli@icsl.ucla.edu>, avt@ietf.org
From: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] The storage format of EVRC/SMV vocoder (resent)
Cc: 'Scott Bradner' <sob@harvard.edu>, 'Allison Mankin' <mankin@psg.com>, craig.greer@nokia.com, jlee@nextreaming.com, sakazawa@kddilabs.jp, keith.miller@nokia.com
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

At 12:31 AM -0700 4/22/03, Adam Li wrote:

>  Below is the summary of the rationales for each of the choices:
>
>    draft-ieft-avt-evrc-smv-03.txt    |    draft-garudadri-qcp-00.txt
>  ------------------------------------+--------------------------------
>  (1) Mature specification, been      | (1) Brand new ID
>      developed for 2.5 years in AVT  |

I'm not sure it makes sense to call a specification "mature" based on
the amount of time between inception and standardization.  That is, I
believe "mature" refers to the amount of time multiple interoperating
implementations have been deployed.

I also do not believe it is accurate to imply that the qcp format is
not mature simply because the Internet Draft is new.  In reality, the
specification has been available for some years now, and there are a
number of implementations which do interoperate.

>  ------------------------------------+--------------------------------
>  (2) Covers both EVRC and SMV        | (2) Only cover EVRC

The qcp format covers QCELP 13K as well as EVRC.  An updated version
covers SMV as well.

>  ------------------------------------+--------------------------------
>  (3) Referred to by 3GPP2(*) FFMS    | (3)
>      specifications                  |

My understanding is that the 3GPP2 FFMS specifications refer to both
(it is waiting on RFC publications for both).

>  ------------------------------------+--------------------------------
>  (4) Implemented and used by many 3G | (4) Supported in Eudora
>      telecom operators (e.g., SKT,   |
>      KTF, LGT). The interoperability |
>      has been tested among them.     |

The qcp format is supported by PureVoice and QuickTime, both
available on Windows and Macs.   Also, a large number of CDMA
handsets deployed today create and play qcp files and use this to
interoperate.  A number of services and tools on the web use the qcp
format (often calling it PureVoice).

My information on the implementation of the evrc-smv draft's format
is that Nextreaming uses this as an internal intermediate format
prior to generating ".3g2" files (as specified in the 3GPP2 FFMS
specification, which include both formats).  That is, my
understanding is that this implementation is not used to exchange
data.  If my understanding is not correct, please let me know.  Can
you please provide more information on the telecom operators (e.g.,
SKT,  KTF, LGT) implementations that you refer to, and if these
implementations are used to exchange data in the format specified in
the evrc-smv draft?

>  ------------------------------------+--------------------------------
>  (5) Simple and efficient design,    | (5)
>      quick to implement              |

The text in the qcp draft is more confusing than it should be.  An
updated version is about to be published which replaces the pseudo-C
description with clear ABNF, showing that the two formats are
actually very close.  In essence, the qcp format is the same as the
evrc-smv format, except that some additional data is present at the
start of the file.  But in both formats, individual vocoder frames
are stored with a preceding byte which describes the frame size.

>  ------------------------------------+--------------------------------
>  (6) Registration already in IANA,   | (6)
>  ------------------------------------+--------------------------------
>  (7) Supported and developed by 7    | (7) Supported and developed by
>      companies and universities      |     Qualcomm
>      (including Qualcomm)            |

The qcp format is supported/implemented by QuickTime, PureVoice, and
numerous handset vendors and operators, plus a number of web services.

>  (8) No IP related to this format    | (8) IP situation unclear

There is no IP associated with the the qcp format.  (The draft
includes an explicit statement that it is in full compliance with all
provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.)