Re: [AVTCORE] [payload] Some changes to rfc3984bis, SVC, and RCDO payload drafts

"Allison, Art" <AAllison@nab.org> Mon, 21 March 2011 20:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:47:20 -0400
From: "Allison, Art" <AAllison@nab.org>
To: payload@ietf.org, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] [payload] Some changes to rfc3984bis, SVC, and RCDO payload drafts

It has been by experience that discovery of a significant technical issue that is 'patched' in a draft standard in a hurry to get it published is always risky and often results in an internal inconsistency.

Seems to me that is a few weeks delay for the formulating body to review is prudent - even if such change can be done.

Just reading for consistency, as I am no expert in the codec; I see the 1000 and 1200 values expressed as pure multipliers and bits per second? Is that a coincidence, error or a magic number effect? And the High Profile factor of 1.25 (to these values) that is in the AVC standard seems to be relevant, but is not being discussed. Is that covered elsewhere in a clear fashion and independent?

I think this should be sent back for correction...and thanks go to the sharp eye who caught the discrepancy.

Art

Art Allison
Senior Director Advanced Engineering, Science and Technology
National Association of Broadcasters
1771 N Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone  202 429 5418