Re: [AVTCORE] AD review: draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory and draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-security-options

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Tue, 05 November 2013 08:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 09:42:15 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-security-options@tools.ietf.org, perpass@ietf.org, avt@ietf.org, draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] AD review: draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory and draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-security-options

Hi Colin,

I came across this document before and I was really wondering whether
this is the best story the IETF can come up with.

The argument that RTP is used in a number of different environments, as
a basis for not offering a solid security story is rather weak. The same
could be said about many other protocols the IETF develops, even about
TLS itself.

Have a look at TLS to see an alternative path that one could go instead.
It mandates a certain ciphersuite and adds the following qualification:

"
Mandatory Cipher Suites

    In the absence of an application profile standard specifying
    otherwise, a TLS-compliant application MUST implement the cipher
    suite TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (see Appendix A.5 for the
    definition).
"

If there are deployments or standardization organizations believe that
they do not require security (because it just runs within their own
"secure" network* or because it requires a different solution solution,
like the 3GPP that allows lawful intercept) then that is not a good
reason for the IETF not mandating something.

I am wondering what motivated you write the document in this specific
style. I believe I understand the motivation for Magnus.

Ciao
Hannes

(*): As we have recently learned these assumptions may well be wrong,
see:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-infiltrates-links-to-yahoo-google-data-centers-worldwide-snowden-documents-say/2013/10/30/e51d661e-4166-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html