Re: [AVT] spatial-resolution parameter for RFC 3984bis

Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com> Mon, 28 July 2008 15:47 UTC

To: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
From: Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:49:38 -0400
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org, "Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il>, Ye-Kui.Wang@nokia.com, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] spatial-resolution parameter for RFC 3984bis
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

"Ingemar Johansson S" <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com> writes:
>To answer Roni's and Ye-Kui's comments I believe that the image attribute
>can be used for 3. However, looking in perspective I am not longer sure
>that the possibility to specify a framerate range makes sense as it does
>not connect  too wellto reality when it comes to e.g H.264 which talks
>about macroblocks per second. The conclusion is then that the framerate
>(or MBs) is determined from the fmtp line.
>This means that if the imageattr specifies a large offered range the frame
>rate is limited by what is possible for the given preferred resolution.
>
>As an example, consider H.263 with the fmtp line
> CIF=4;QCIF=3;SQCIF=2;
>the imageattr may then be specified as
>a=imageattr:97 [x=[128:8:352],y=[96:8:288],par=[1.2,1.3]]
>If the receiver prefers the resolution 344x288 (slightly less than CIF) the maximum frame rate would be 30/(1.0001*4) ~ 7.5Hz.
>If the prefered resolution is 160x128 (slightly less than QCIF) then the max frame rate is 30/(1.0001*3) Hz and so on.

So far as I know (and I didn't recheck), H.263 only allows for resolutions
specified in the fmtp (though QCIF and CIF are I think required).  If you
want 344x288, you need to add a CUSTOM resolution to the fmtp line.  And
the mpi must be an integer in the fmtp.  Now, if both sides use this, then
those restrictions could be relaxed.

>For the H.264 case the frame rate depending of the preferred image size
>would be limited according to the maximum framerate repending on the max
>MBs and the resolution given in table A-6 in the H.264 spec. For instance
>for level 2 an image size of 344x280 which is less than CIF but larger
>than QVGA would yield a max frame rate of 30Hz.

My suggestion would be for this to express preferences within the normal
negotiated resolution and framerate space.  i.e for 264 the level and
max-fs and max-mbps would determine the *maximum* frame and framerate
supported, but this would be used to decide what to actually send.

See my original email below -- look for:
    "I would suggest instead (and did in the thread back in March)"

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate (developers of the Ojo videophone), ex-Amiga OS team
rjesup@wgate.com