Re: [AVT] New I-D on JVT/H.26L packetization

philippe.gentric@philips.com Tue, 05 March 2002 14:00 UTC

From: philippe.gentric@philips.com
To: Stephan Wenger <stewe@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc: avt@ietf.org, avt-admin@ietf.org, miska.hannuksela@nokia.com, thomas Stockhammer <stockhammer@ei.tum.de>
Subject: Re: [AVT] New I-D on JVT/H.26L packetization
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:43:50 +0100
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Stephan,

a few remarks about your draft:

*****************
 I dont see the lack of final status for NAL as a problem, on the contrary
I beleive that making sure that the (RTP) transport is independent of
the NAL internals is a key design issue.

in this respect, you state that:

"The RTP payload specification is designed to be
   unaware of the bit string in the NALP payload."

but you dont state explicitely what is the situation for NALP headers,
rather you write:

 "JVT  Video-aware network elements such as Gateways can perform many
   operations by handling only those byte buffers"

but is this in the scope of a RTP payload format ?

 I dont think so, being able to re-packetize is a *extremely* nice
property of JVT/NAL.

Fine, but why would you specify that in the RTP payload ?
same for the NALP type byte, why this table of value?

******************
 I am -as you are- concerned about using the RFC2250 timestamp policy.

You write: "Clearly, using the RFC2250-like timestamp disallows the exact
media
   synchronization between different RTP receivers"

if you mean not being able to synchronise with other RTP streams
then this is simply not acceptable.

Also I dont understand the logic of the choice, specifically the
statement:

"A consequence of this new feature (it was available
   before only in H.263++ [3]) is the complete decoupling of the
   transmission time, the decoding time, and the sampling or
   presentation time of slices and pictures"

seams a bit extreme to me...

Another way to look at this issue is to consider that these video codecs
behave like audio codecs with an arbitrarily complex interleaving
scheme...

moreover each fragment (slice) objectively HAS a presentation time stamp
which is the CTS (composition time stamp) of the corresponding Access Unit
(picture)...

so what you need is an interleaving scheme that can re-order the fragments
and assign CTS to each ... for which I know a method ;-)

the fact that you want to send fragments a long time before they are to be
used
is a separate (buffer management, etc) issue ...

BTW the description of the example of usage of ERPS in 10.1 would need
some more details in terms of rationale (why exactly you want to spread
the I frame over 10 minutes is unclear)

regards,

Philippe Gentric
Software Architect