Re: [BEHAVE] Modified EUI-64 format

Dave Thaler <dthaler@windows.microsoft.com> Fri, 03 July 2009 17:00 UTC

From: Dave Thaler <dthaler@windows.microsoft.com>
To: Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:01:08 +0000
Cc: Behave WG <behave@ietf.org>, Xing Li <xing@cernet.edu.cn>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Modified EUI-64 format

This is rebutted in the paragraph quoted below about future technology.

> > The Modified EUI-64 format reserves the universal/local bit for that
> > use.   This is then restated in that RFC both in section 2.5.1:
> >
> >> The use of the universal/local bit in the Modified EUI-64 format
> >> identifier is to allow development of future technology that can
> take
> >> advantage of interface identifiers with universal scope.
> >
> > as well as in Appendix A, which explains that there are a number
> > of approaches, but all of them adhere to the universal/local
> > bit.
> >
> > Similarly, with privacy addresses referred to in the draft quote
> > at top, RFC 3041 section 3.2.1 point 3 forces the randomized
> > interface identifier to adhere to this requirement, so that it's
> > a 63-bit random number, not a 64-bit random number.  And with
> > CGAs, RFC 3972 section 4 point 6 similarly forces a generated
> > interface identifier to adhere to this requirement. (As an aside,
> > it also reserves the "g" bit which is actually unnecessary
> > since it's not IEEE EUI-64-derived.  RFC 4291 only discusses
> > the "g" bit for addresses derived from IEEE EUI-64's, which
> > is why RFC 3041 and a translation format can still use that bit).
> >
> > Hence it is not legal for an embedded IPv4 address to span
> > this bit unless the prefix starts with binary 000.  So either
> > a well-known prefix can be used that starts with binary 000,
> > or else any embedded (or obscured) IPv4 address has to end
> > before the 71st bit (i.e. LIR prefix length <= 38) or start
> > after it (i.e. LIR prefix length >= 71).
>
> If despite the discussion above it is concluded that embedded
> addresses that span IID "u" and "g" bits are "formally" illegal, an
> action should imho be taken to make it formally legal.
> Reasons are:
> - it is useful to keep SIIT as simple and flexible as it can be
> - there is no identified technical or operational harm (if one would
> know one, it would be worth knowing).

This would be a change to the IPv6 addressing architecture, and
_cannot_ be done by the Behave WG, only by 6man.  And it would
prevent the possibility mentioned above, which is the "identified"
issue.  It's not at all clear there'd be consensus on this, given
there are groups (like HIP?) which may actually want to use the
bit as suggested.

-Dave