[BEHAVE] Re: [MBONED] FW: WGLC: draft-ietf-behave-multicast-06.txt

Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com> Tue, 05 June 2007 17:27 UTC

From: Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com>
To: behave@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:18:28 +0530
Subject: [BEHAVE] Re: [MBONED] FW: WGLC: draft-ietf-behave-multicast-06.txt

Hi Dan,

    I have couple of questions and suggestions:

> The BEHAVE working group concluded its WGLC of
> draft-ietf-behave-multicast-06 with no comments received.  I would like
> MBONED and MAGMA to please take a look at this draft prior to its submission
> to IESG.
>
> Please send replies to behave@ietf.org.  Thanks!

* In section 4.2, why is it that a NAPT device implementing this draft
needs to aggregate IGMP message only for IGMPv3? I think if it is
implementing 'RFC4605', it will anyway do the aggregation.

* In case of IGMPv3, why is it that aggregation is a MUST? Also I think
when one of the hosts behind the NAPT generates LEAVE and another
generates JOIN simultaneously, the session will be UP till the
group-timer timesout and as JOIN is also received, it will be updated
and so session will always be UP. Am I mixing the session created in
NAPT with the state in upstream router?

* Typo "lesaving the session" -> "leaving the session"

* In section 4.4, though complete Multicast Range is 224/4 but out of
this range 232/8 is used for Source Specific Multicast or Single-Source
Multicast. So is the following statement syntactically correct

"Any-sosurce multicast (ASM) uses the IP addresses in the 224.0.0.0 -
239.255.255.255 range [IANA-ALLOC]."

What I meant is that it looks to be incorrect to call this range as ASM
range.

* In section 4.4,

     a.  This UDP mapping SHOULD be destroyed when the host leaves
         that host group.

  How do we find out that host has left the group? Please correct me if
I am wrong. We are talking about a host behind the NAPT device
generating Multicast data traffic [UDP traffic]. A multicast host does
not need to join the multicast group [By sending an IGMP join message]
to send multicast traffic to that group. So how does NAPT finds out when
it can destroy this mapping and so this mapping will have to timeout
before it can be removed.

Thanks & Regards,
Bharat

PS: I am not subscribed to 'behave' mailing list so please reply-all or
include my id in your reply.