[BEHAVE] IETF77 recharter / milestone discussion

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Sun, 07 March 2010 19:56 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'behave' <behave@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:56:12 -0800
Cc: behave-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [BEHAVE] IETF77 recharter / milestone discussion

During Friday's BEHAVE session we will be discussing rechartering
and milestones for BEHAVE.  Our current charter is available at
http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/behave-charter and as soon
as we send the six IPv6/IPv4 translation documents to the IESG,
we will have completed many of those items.  There is still
outstanding work, though, which needs to be discussed.

If you are presenting an individual draft in BEHAVE, which
you want to have the working group consider as a charter
item, it is your responsibility to use YOUR PRESENTATION
TIME to motiviate the working group.

During the rechartering discussion time, we do not want to
discuss particular SOLUTIONS.  Rather, we want to discuss
particular PROBLEMS.  Specifically, we want to determine
if the problem is important enough to add to the charter,
and if there is sufficient energy to work on a solution.

Below is what we intend to discuss around re-chartering
and milestones.  If you see something missing from the list,
please reply to the chairs or the mailing list.

currently-chartered work, with milestones.  We need to
decide new deadlines.
  - SCTP NAT
      * draft-ietf-behave-sctpnat

currently-chartered work, without milestones.  We need to
decide if there is interest and if can solve these:
  - BEHAVE scenario 3 (An IPv4 network to IPv6 Internet)
      * draft-liu-behave-nat46
      * draft-huang-behave-pnat
      * draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis
      * draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis
      * draft-thaler-6man-unique-v4mapped
  - BEHAVE scenario 4 (IPv4 Internet to an IPv6 network)
      * draft-perkins-behave-dpinat
      * draft-perkins-sourceipnat
      * draft-xli-behave-dns46-for-stateless
      * draft-wing-behave-http-46-relay
  - multicast IPv6/IPv4 translation
      (Scope:  IPv6 senders and IPv4 listeners, or
               IPv4 senders and IPv6 listeners?
               SSM or ASM?)
      * draft-venaas-behave-v4v6mc-framework
      * draft-jiang-behave-v4v6mc-proxy

non-chartered work.  We need to decide if there is interest,
and if we can solve these:
  - IPv6-only hosts encountering IPv4 address literals
      * draft-wing-behave-http-ip-address-literals
      * draft-wing-v6ops-v6app-v4server
  - avoiding NAT64 with dual-stack host
      * draft-wing-behave-dns64-config
      * draft-boucadair-behave-dns-a64
      * draft-boucadair-behave-dns64-discovery
      * draft-cao-behave-dsdns64
  - high availability stateful NAT
      * draft-chen-behave-rsnat
      * draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync