[BEHAVE] Per-interface NAT in mobile networks

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Mon, 25 October 2010 14:45 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: Softwires list <softwires@ietf.org>, Behave WG <behave@ietf.org>, "draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite@tools.ietf.org" <draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:47:03 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: RD-CORE <olivier.bernier@orange-ftgroup.com>, BINET David NCPI/NAD/TIP <david.binet@orange-ftgroup.com>, IBRAHIM Houmed RD-CORE <houmed.ibrahim@orange-ftgroup.com>, MOUQUET Antoine RD-CORE <antoine.mouquet@orange-ftgroup.com>, BERNIER
Subject: [BEHAVE] Per-interface NAT in mobile networks

   Dear all,

   When per-interface NAT is applied to 3GPP networks, a NAT function
   can be embedded in the GGSN/PGW.  The GTP tunnel identifier will be
   used as an identifier in the NAT table to identify sessions belonging
   to each UE.  Packets are then translated and forwarded to their
   destination (either internal or external).  Distinct IPv4 address
   pools may be configured on the GGSN/PGW depending on the APN.  This
   procedure can be implemented in mono stack PDP context or in
   dual stack PDP contexts.

   Embedding a NAT in the PGW/GGSN is one of the scenarios we are
   considering to rationalise the use of IPv4 address in mobile
   networks, while promoting the invocation of IPv6 transfer
   capabilities whenever possible (our recommendation for mobile is to
   go for dual-stack connectivity).  Unlike other solutions where the
   NAT is not embedded in the PGW, the activation of the per-interface
   NAT does not impact the network availability since no new nodes will
   be introduced to embed the NAT function.

   We think per-interface NAT
   (http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite/ or
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miles-behave-l2nat-00)
   is a good place to describe this use case.

   Some vendors already support a NAT function in their PGW products,
   but for harmonising the behaviour of such implementations we think it
   would be valuable to see draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite be adopted
   as a WG document in Behave or Softwire.

   Is there any plan to see this I-D progress as Softwire or Behave WG
   document?

   Cheers,

   Med

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.