Re: [BEHAVE] [shara] Layer2-Aware NAT (draft-miles-behave-l2nat-00)

<pierre.levis@orange-ftgroup.com> Mon, 09 March 2009 09:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:03:09 +0100
From: pierre.levis@orange-ftgroup.com
To: David.Miles@alcatel-lucent.com.au, behave@ietf.org, shara@ietf.org, townsley@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] [shara] Layer2-Aware NAT (draft-miles-behave-l2nat-00)

Hi,

Very interesting to cope with the IPv4 public AND private address exhaustion.

Actually what you propose can be used not only for CGN but also for port range solutions.
In port range solutions we have a PRR (Port Range Router) in the ISP network instead of a CGN, and we are also confronted with routing between CPEs and PRR.
As you mention, the best way would be IPv6 encap, but in case IPv6 is not deployed in the CPEs and access, Layer2-aware mechanisms are good alternatives.

I back the proposal of a larger CGN document.

Regards

Pierre