Re: [bess] Comments about https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-duan-bess-simplified-mvpn-for-bier-and-ir-00

"Chensiyu (Susie)" <chensiyu27@huawei.com> Mon, 18 March 2024 02:01 UTC

From: "Chensiyu (Susie)" <chensiyu27@huawei.com>
To: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang=40juniper.net@dmarc.ietf.org>, 'BESS' <bess@ietf.org>
CC: duanfanghong <duanfanghong@huawei.com>, "Songbo (songbo, MULTICAST)" <sunbird.song@huawei.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 02:01:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.136.128.228]
Subject: Re: [bess] Comments about https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-duan-bess-simplified-mvpn-for-bier-and-ir-00

Hi Jeffrey,
Sorry for our late response. Let me explain about each question below.
Q1. Type 1 to 7's functions and simplification?
We've uploaded a new version of draft and functions of each NLRIs has been modified.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-duan-bess-simplified-mvpn-for-bier-and-ir/
Segmentation scenario will be updated later.

Q2. Are we talking the same or different scenario?
We think I-PMSI tunnel is no longer needed and we'd like to construct S-PMSI tunnel directly.
In your draft section-1.2.1, you still maintain the procedure of establishing I-PMSI tunnel and then switch to S-PMSI tunnel without using s-pmsi ad and leaf ad route.

Q2. In order to merge type4/6/7, which way do we want to perform explicit tracking? Existing C-multicast route or new BGP route?
The key difference between your and our method is that the parameters used to perform explicit tracking. You use distinct Route-distinguishers and we uses BIER PTA such as sub-domain, BFR-ID.
For BIER and IR, explicit tracking is important because Ingress PE needs to distinguish different receiver sets of I-PMSI and S-PMSI.
Different BitString or routable IR addresses can represent the difference, and they are all underlay tunnel parameters. We think PTA carried by leaf A-D route can be carried by the existed C-multicast route or creating a new BGP route.
I think RDs cannot perform explicit tracking directly because transit nodes cannot recognize RD. Ingress PE needs to translate RDs into underlay.
The translation still needs leaf PE to send their underlay BIER parameters by certain MVPN routes, such as C-multicast route.

Q3. How to deal with (s,g,rpt) flag?
We think RFC6513 and RFC6514 use Source-Active route to perform (S,G,RPT) because 'BGP update mechanism does not provide "explicit tracking".' (S,G,RPT)s from different leaf PEs will be merged into one so that root PE won't know specific leaf PEs. But explicit tracking will be naturally supported in BIER and IR, so (S,G,RPT) flag can be set and used.

Best wishes,
Siyu