[bess] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage-15: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 02 October 2023 11:17 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage@ietf.org, bess-chairs@ietf.org, bess@ietf.org, matthew.bocci@nokia.com, matthew.bocci@nokia.com, bevolz@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 04:17:34 -0700
Subject: [bess] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage-15: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage-15: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage-15

Thank you for the work put into this document. It could be useful but,
honestly, I find it ***weak*** on several points (see below) and more accurate
language will be welcome rather than hand waving. I strongly suggest that the
authors/WG have a second pass on the document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Matthew Bocci for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus ***and*** the justification of the intended status.

Please note that Bernie Volz is the Internet directorate reviewer (at my
request) and you may want to consider this int-dir review as well when it will
be available (no need to wait for it though):
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage/reviewrequest/18155/

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS

## Mixing IPsec SA and IPsec-protected tunnels

I am afraid that the text often mixes "IPsec SA" and "IPsec-protected tunnels"
(the latter could be VXLAN/GRE/IPinIP tunnels).

## Absence of QUIC

Suggest to also add QUIC as a secure channel in addition to TLS.

## Abstract

Unsure about the usefulness of the last paragraph.

Isn't "SW-WAN overlay" an pleonasm ? I.e., are there SD-WAN without an overlay ?

## Section 1

`based on their application identifiers instead of destination IP addresses`
what are those "application identifiers" ?

## Section 2

Should "PE-based VPN" be defined on its own ?

`plain Internet services` what are those services ? I guess mainly "IP packet
forwarding", but this should be qualified.

Please explain what "ZTP" is.

## Section 3.1.1

Which part of the inner header is relevant to `the IPsec tunnel's inner
encapsulation header can have the SD-WAN VPN Identifier to distinguish the
packets belonging to different SD-WAN VPNs.` ?

## Section 3.1.2

What are `L3VPN service requirements` ?

Please expand "HR" as it is not part of
https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/abbrev.expansion.txt

## Section 3.1.5

Even of a SD-WAN edge does not receive a BGP UPDATE for a specific prefix, a
manual static route could still forward traffic to this prefix. Should this
security issue be mentioned ?

## Section 3.2

Please add a reference to "NVo3".

"Homogeneous" also seems to indicate that all IPsec SAs use the same security
parameters (crypto alg, key length, ...). Is it mandatory for this document ?
If not, then suggest to use "ubiquitous encrypted SD-WAN".

## Section 3.3

Unsure whether I agree with `it is more desirable for traffic over a private
VPN to be forwarded without encryption.`.

## Section 5.1

The first paragraph mentions DMVPN/DSVPN that appears to be marketing terms
from some vendors. Are those terms required ?

## Sections 5.2, 5.3, ...

Rather than using legacy IPv4 addresses, IPv6 examples would be more suitable
in 2023.

## Section 5.4

If 192.0.2.9/30 is assumed to be a prefix, then it is *NOT* as it is part of
192.0.2.8/30.

## Section 6 does it belong to a BGP document ?

I fail to see how the whole section 6 is part of a BGP document. It is nice to
read but what is the link with BGP ?

## Section 6.1.1

`six one-directional IPsec SAs must be established:` but then only 3 are show,
suggest to either do not list the bidirectional arrows or use unidirectional
arrows.

## Section 6.1.2

What is "inner encapsulation key" in `Different client traffic can be
differentiated by a unique value in the inner encapsulation key or ID field` ?

Why are loopback addresses used here ? I would have assumed that for a public
edge CPE, it would be the address of the public interface.

Neither IPv6 nor IPv4 headers have a header field "Protocol-code". Please use
the right term.

The use of 'protected' for IPsec tunnel is ambiguous (at first read, I read it
as *very secure/confidential*) in `C-PE Node-based IPsec tunnel is inherently
protected`. E.g., in section 6.2 'protected' is used with a different semantic.

Is it really Figure 2 from pages before ?

I would expect that VXLAN/GRE encapsulation would cope better with multicast
traffic. Would RFC 3740 and 6407 be useful for mcast traffic ?

## Section 6.2 (and other places)

The usual term is 'clear text' rather than 'native'.

## Section 6.2.2

Please describe or add a reference for `additional anti-DDoS mechanism`.

Figure 8 probably misses a link between A3 and PE.

## Section 6.3

Unsure whether the NAT part is useful, again what has this to do with BGP ?
And/or how can a BGP session traverse a NAT ?

What is `Scenario #2` ?

## Section 8

I would have expected some security consideration about the centralization of
security in the RR.

## Section 11

It is inconsistent with the authors' list in the header.

# NITS

## Section 1

s/IP Packets/IP packets/

A couple of places where "Tunnel" should rather be "tunnel".