Re: [Bier] [SPAM?] Optimized explicit tracking for BIER

"Dolganow, Andrew (Andrew)" <andrew.dolganow@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 07 January 2015 03:08 UTC

From: "Dolganow, Andrew (Andrew)" <andrew.dolganow@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Eric C Rosen <erosen@juniper.net>, BIER <bier@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 03:08:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.5.27.18]
Subject: Re: [Bier] [SPAM?] Optimized explicit tracking for BIER

Eric,

Happy new Year.

Can you please look at the draft I presented in Honolulu:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dolganow-l3vpn-mvpn-expl-track-00,

The  draft describes how explicit tracking is expected to work in general.
As discussed on the list and in Honolulu, explicit tracking in RFC
61513/14 and in RFC6625 (wildcard) requires some clarification - although
with some common sense, following the rules outlined in 6513/14
implementers
Could achieve explicit tracking for any S-PMSI type.

The above draft clarifies things up and allows explicit tracking for any
S-PMSI
route, including any wildcards, without a need for any new
procedures/encodings
(the draft we presented clarifies what applies and how  in the existing
RFCs).

This general mechanism for NG-MVPN explicit tracking can be then also used
in BIER
without a need for any BIER-specific extensions. When the mechanism is
used,
ingress PE (BFIR) will send an explicit tracking request for whatever it
needs a (C-S, C-G)
or any type of wildcard depending which C-multicast flows are to use BIER
in
P-instance).

I find the below procedure thus duplicate of what we already have on the
table for general explicit
Tracking in ng-MVPN - including BIER.

Andrew