[bmwg] RE: RE: Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic Control Mechanisms extension for artificial congestion

"Richard Watts \(riwatts\)" <riwatts@cisco.com> Thu, 25 May 2006 12:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 00:49:14 +0200
From: "Richard Watts (riwatts)" <riwatts@cisco.com>
To: sporetsky@reefpoint.com
Cc: bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: [bmwg] RE: RE: Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic Control Mechanisms extension for artificial congestion

Hi Scott

Congestion not caused naturally by exhausting/overloading a links
capacity.  So for example, if I shape the egress interface of a device,
such that the forwarding capacity of the interface is reduced, then I
create 'artificial congestion' through back pressure to invoke
additional traffic control mechanisms such as queuing. In this instance,
traffic flow is rate limited even though the actual interface is not
fully utilized or congested.

This term  stems from your discussions in Dallas around the fact that
congestion can be created/caused by means other than natural congestion
of an interface. Hence 'artificial congestion'

Make sense ?

Richard