[bmwg] RE: Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic Control Mechanisms extension for artificial congestion

"Richard Watts \(riwatts\)" <riwatts@cisco.com> Fri, 05 May 2006 15:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 17:00:54 +0200
From: "Richard Watts (riwatts)" <riwatts@cisco.com>
To: sporetsky@reefpoint.com
Cc: bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: [bmwg] RE: Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic Control Mechanisms extension for artificial congestion

Hi Scott

As we discussed and agreed I am keen to provide input and support to the
above mentioned draft with respect to making artificial congestion  an
extension to the existing benchmarking draft.

Please see my initial comments about the existing draft that I forwarded
a little while ago and I will also send out soon what I think the
wording may be for blending in the artificial congestion aspects of the
benchmarking, so that we might get some dialogue going on this topic.
The next ITEF in Montreal is not that long away now and I look forward
to meeting both you and the rest of the group then.

Look forward to your fedback

Regards

Richard

I would like to

Hi Scott

Apologies for the slight delay in getting back to you, time has been a
bit of a challenge, as always. However, please see below some 'cosmetic'
comments and queries regarding the existing benchmarking methodology
draft, which I hope are useful

Re: Section 3.1 Test Topologies

There seems to be a slight typo in the text i.e. ' Figure 2 shows the
Test Topology for benchmarking performance when Forwarding Congestion
does not exist on the egress link '. The 'not' needs to be removed to
align with Figure 2 heading.

Re: Section 3.2.3 c) under Offered Vector

' Packet size must be equal to or less than the interface MTU so that
there is no fragmentation' The 'must' needs to be in upper case.

Re: Section 3.2.5 Expected Vector

The last sentence 'Test cases may be repeated with variation to the
expected vector to produce a more benchmark results'. I take this to
mean vary the SLA requirements such as packet loss, jitter, forwarding
delay etc. If so is this actually required, I understand that the draft
uses the word 'may' so infers optional. But, if the DUT is tested to the
tightest SLAs and they are achieved, is there any mileage in testing to
achieve 'less tight' SLAs ?

Re: Step 2 in the procedure for both 4.2 and 4.3 should have 'be'
inserted between the 'MUST' and '2 or more'

Re: 'Expected Results' under section 4.3 states ' Forwarding Vector
equals the Offered Load. There is no packet loss and no out of order
packets. Output vectors match the Expected Vectors for each DSCP in the
Codepoint set'

Should we not ensure consistency in terminology and change Forwarding
Vector to Output Vector as per bottom of Page 5 or, change Output Vector
on bottom of Page 5 to be consistent with Forwarding Vector in this
section ? Additionally, it states 'Forwarding Vector equals the Offered
Load'. Offered load, should be Expected Vector as this is the process
for the benchmarking of 'with' forwarding congestion ?

Not sure what your thoughts are, but I would not be inclined to state
anything about what the expected vector should be in the expected
results section, as this will vary depending upon what the target is for
the benchmark and how its configured on the DUT. So comments about no
packet loss may not be valid.

I am personally of the opinion that we can manipulate this draft to take
into account the artificial congestion, I think we just need to weave in
the appropriate wording so that the audience is aware that this
methodology applies also to artificial congestion. I think the concepts
and approach do not change, just because the mechanism for creating
congestion might differ.

If you are in agreement I will go ahead and try to make the appropriate
changes for your review, comment and input ?

I will also review the Terminology draft very shortly as well as
feedback any comments to yourself and the co-authors

Kind Regards

Richard