Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Scott Bradner <sob@sobco.com> Fri, 11 February 2022 12:08 UTC

From: Scott Bradner <sob@sobco.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 07:08:23 -0500
Cc: bmwg-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, bmwg@ietf.org, draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance@ietf.org
To: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

speaking as the editor of RFC 2119

nice chart of how to misuse SHOULD but - imo - SHOULD is a MUST with an escape clause

I do not think it is useful to use SHOULD without specifically saying what the escape clause is -
i.e. specifically say when its OK to not act as if it was a MUST

so, if you cannot say when the SHOULD should not be a MUST then it should be a MUST or a MAY

Scott

(if I had to do it all over again I would not have included SHOULD/SHOULD NOT)