Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Carsten Rossenhoevel <cross@eantc.de> Thu, 10 February 2022 22:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:52:06 +0100
To: Murray Kucherawy <superuser@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance@ietf.org, bmwg-chairs@ietf.org, bmwg@ietf.org, Al Morton <acm@research.att.com>
From: Carsten Rossenhoevel <cross@eantc.de>
Subject: Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Dear Murray,

Apologies for the late response to your review.

Upon re-reading the draft, we agree that the number of SHOULD statements
is indeed quite high.  In our defense :-), we wanted to create
well-defined benchmarking methodology that does not leave uncertainty
(or allow compliant but unrealistic behavior that would give the user an
unfair advantage in benchmarking comparisons).  Anyway, throughout the
discussions in 20 drafts over three years, some of these statements got
changed in a way that their intended meaning got distorted.

With help from Al Morton, we concluded that the SHOULD statements in the
document seem to fall into a couple of categories:

*Category*
	*Explanation*
	*Suggested Authors' Action*
Conditional
	a specific way is recommended, but other more or less harmful ways
would also be possible
	Review text to ensure that alternatives and their consequences are
described explicitly
Aspirational
	recommending that the industry will adopt a specific behavior or
methodology
	Keep
Pleonastic
	statements that are without viable technical alternative
	Eliminate and transfer into indicative text form
Hidden MUSTs
	editors frowned upon the use of MUST and chose SHOULD instead
	Convert into explicit MUST?

Q1) Do you agree with this classification and the suggested actions?

Q2) Do you recommend that we go through each of the SHOULDs in the whole
document and modify if needed, or focus only on the explicit occurrences
that you quoted in your review?

Q3) Should we state explicit "MUST" in category 4 cases -- do you think
this is permissible for an informational RFC -- or do you have any other
suggested action?

Best regards, Carsten

--
Carsten Rossenhövel
Managing Director, EANTC AG (European Advanced Networking Test Center)

Place of Business/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Germany
Chairman/Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Herbert Almus
Managing Directors/Vorstand: Carsten Rossenhövel, Gabriele Schrenk
Registered: HRB 73694, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin, Germany
EU VAT No: DE812824025