Re: [bmwg] WG Last Call: OSPF convergence benchmarking

Scott Poretsky <sporetsky@avici.com> Thu, 15 May 2003 23:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 19:57:56 -0400
To: Kevin Dubray <kdubray@juniper.net>, bmwg@ietf.org
From: Scott Poretsky <sporetsky@avici.com>
Subject: Re: [bmwg] WG Last Call: OSPF convergence benchmarking
Sender: bmwg-admin@ietf.org

BMWG-ers,

Reviewed the Terminology Draft.  Not much change from where we were in March.

Hadn't we had agreed that the existing terms would have references added
and move to the "Existing Terminology" section?  4 of the 9 terms provided
are from John Moy's OSPFv2 RFC.  Those are now referenced (weren't in the
previous version), but the still need to go in "Existing Terminology".

Hadn't we agreed that defining Internal Measurement, External Measurement,
and Multi-Device Measurements in this draft was inappropriate and would be
removed?  We did because these are broad terms with a broad scope to the
BMWG.  That now covers 7 of the 9 terms.

Hadn't we agreed that the term "Incremental-SPF" would not be included
because it is implementation specific.  Cisco also does PRC.  Why not
include that?  Avici does RTC.  Let's include that.  Of course this would
go on and on so we decided to not include Incremental-SPF.  That is 8 of the 9.

The 9th term is "Shortest Path First Time".  Mitchell had posted for the
previous version the comment "ADD... Some implementations may force a
interval between
successive SPF calculations. If it exists, then this additional time
value should be subtracted from the total time.".  This is a great
recommendation to add here in the Terminology draft.  In fact, some
implementations have an SPF Delay and an SPF Holdtime.  The definition
should state explicitly that measurement includes the SPF Delay, but the
SPF HoldTime may be subtracted.  I also recommend that the term be changed
to "Shortest Path First Execution Time".  That would then be the only
remaining term.

There is one other new term introduced in the Terminology Document, Single
Router Convergence (or SR-Convergence).  This definition should be added to
the "Terminology" section as the second term rather than in the "Concepts"
section where it is currently located.  I also recommend that based upon
the other ongoing work for Data Plane Convergence that the "SR-Convergence"
term be changed to "Control Plane Convergence" to eliminate confusion and
match the way most people already speak.  Also, in the sentence
"convergence will mean the point in time when the DUT has performed all
actions needed to react to the change in topology represented by the test
condition", it is recommended to change the word "all" to "some" because
the Tree Building and FIB Update are not included in this measurement term.

Provided there is follow-up to the changes discussed in March and the
additional changes for SR-Convergence, I would recommend the Terminology
draft then be progressed to the ADs.

Scott