[bmwg] New Liaison Statement, "LS response to IETF BMWG on proposal to develop a benchmarking methodology for ITU-T Recommendation Y.1731 (reply to IETF BMWG-LS2 (TD12/WP3))"

Liaison Statement Management Tool <lsmt@ietf.org> Mon, 10 April 2017 17:11 UTC

From: Liaison Statement Management Tool <lsmt@ietf.org>
To: Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Cc: Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>, Benchmarking Methodology Discussion List <bmwg@ietf.org>, Scott Mansfield <Scott.Mansfield@Ericsson.com>, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, John Drake <jdrake@juniper.net>, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>, jessy.rouyer@nokia.com, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, itu-t-liaison@iab.org
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 10:11:55 -0700
Subject: [bmwg] New Liaison Statement, "LS response to IETF BMWG on proposal to develop a benchmarking methodology for ITU-T Recommendation Y.1731 (reply to IETF BMWG-LS2 (TD12/WP3))"

Title: LS response to IETF BMWG on proposal to develop a benchmarking methodology for ITU-T Recommendation Y.1731 (reply to IETF BMWG-LS2 (TD12/WP3))
Submission Date: 2017-04-10
URL of the IETF Web page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1513/
Please reply by 2017-06-07
From: Hiroshi Ota <hiroshi.ota@itu.int>
To: Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>,Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Cc: Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>,Benchmarking Methodology Discussion List <bmwg@ietf.org>,Scott Mansfield <Scott.Mansfield@Ericsson.com>,Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>,John Drake <jdrake@juniper.net>,Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>,Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>,itu-t-liaison@iab.org
Response Contacts: jessy.rouyer@nokia.com
Technical Contacts:
Purpose: For action

Body: Thank you for your liaison titled “Proposal to Develop a Benchmarking Methodology for ITU-T Recommendation Y.1731 OAM Performance”.

Q10/15 took note of your charter strictly limiting your work to laboratory characterization.

We appreciate that IETF BMWG requested our comments prior to considering this work proposal further. Regarding your recognizing that “compliance and interoperability specifications are the mandate of SG 11”, we would like to clarify that while ITU-T SG11 leads ITU’s work on conformance and interoperability (C&I) testing and is responsible for coordinating ITU’s C&I programme, ITU-T SG11 and SG15 currently have no agreement regarding where in ITU-T the work you are interested in with respect to Recommendation ITU-T G.8013/Y.1731 would take place. Further, we would like to clarify, by reference to the question text for Q10/15 (https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/studygroups/2017-2020/15/Pages/q10.aspx), that Q10/15 is currently not chartered to work on tasks such as the laboratory characterization of the accuracy of performance monitoring sought by the Internet Draft at https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jacpra-bmwg-pmtest-02. However, Q10/15 believes that such tasks should be performed within the organization that has responsibility for the corresponding data plane protocols. As such, Q10/15 believes that the proposed work should not be further progressed in IETF.

The next meeting of ITU-T SG15 is in Geneva, Switzerland, 19-30 June 2017.
Attachments:

    SG15-LS018
    https://www.ietf.org/lib/dt/documents/LIAISON/liaison-2017-04-10-itu-t-sg-15-bmwg-ls-response-to-ietf-bmwg-on-proposal-to-develop-a-benchmarking-methodology-for-itu-t-recommendation-y1731-reply-t-attachment-1.pdf