[bmwg] Benchmarking Methodology for OpenFlow SDN Controller Performance

"Tassinari, Mark A" <mark.tassinari@hp.com> Fri, 25 April 2014 23:11 UTC

From: "Tassinari, Mark A" <mark.tassinari@hp.com>
To: "bmwg@ietf.org" <bmwg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 23:08:44 +0000
Deferred-Delivery: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 23:08:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [15.201.58.26]
Subject: [bmwg] Benchmarking Methodology for OpenFlow SDN Controller Performance

Hello Bhuvan,

Standardizing on a set of controller performance tests is a great idea and the OpenFlow SDN Controller Performance draft is a good start.  I'd like to submit some comments and questions.

-          The Test Setup section is unclear about where virtualization is permitted but this can have a dramatic effect on the results.  I believe the benchmark test should require the controller and any virtual switches to be on separate servers.

-          I'm curious to know why the number of switches in the tests are not defined - not even to require more than one.  There is way to know if the tests were executed the tests under the same conditions which makes comparison much less meaningful.

-          What is the numerator (OFRi) in the Flow setup rate formula defined in Section 6.1.1.1.4?  Is it the sum of all packet_out and flow mod messages sent by the controller?

-          The test does not specify whether throughput results are verified to be lossless (every packet_in results in a packet_out).  Since TCP is the specified connection it may not matter but I thought I'd toss it out for discussion.

-          The Reactive Mode Flow setup in section 6.1.1.2.2 is a little unclear.  If the objective is to have the 10% of all "specified" switches that are connected send Packet_In messages I'd rephrase  the second sentence to state "Load controller with Packet-In messages from all connected controllers for a specified interval."

Regards,

Mark