[bmwg] Status of draft-cerveny-bmwg-ipv6-nd

William Cerveny <bmwg@wjcerveny.com> Mon, 29 July 2013 21:58 UTC

From: William Cerveny <bmwg@wjcerveny.com>
To: bmwg@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 17:58:36 -0400
Subject: [bmwg] Status of draft-cerveny-bmwg-ipv6-nd

Dear BMWGers,

I had hoped to provide updates at IETF-87 regarding
draft-cerveny-bmwg-ipv6-nd, but I had to change my travel plans at the
last minute.

So, via e-mail, an update on where things are with the IPv6 NDP
benchmarking draft, since IETF-86.

The draft is currently at version 00:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cerveny-bmwg-ipv6-nd-00 (see bottom of
e-mail for more access info).

I got a lot of good feedback at the BMWG meeting in Orlando (IETF-86).

I also met with Ron Bonica and Varun Santosh after the BMWG meeting and
we discussed 3 primary testing scenarios, as described below:

1) How many hosts can I have on a network
- Still have connectivity between all endpoints
- We use addresses in ascending order

tester#1new sets up new addresses
tester#2renew is pinging existing addresses
granularity is something between a millisecond and a second.

#1 and #2 should get responses to every packet

2) Given that you have that many hosts, how long does it take for the
neighbor cache get into a reasonable state.
- Lowest timer value and still have connectivity between all endpoints.
- Make sure tester can keep up
- Keep getting smaller intervals

reduce timer on #new
#1new should not always get responses
#2renew should get responses to every packet

3) How do we behave when we’re being scanned. priority to hosts that
have been seen before?
Slow down tester#2 until one gets into refreshing every 6 seconds. If
you have address in stale state, it should get priority over new
request.

increase timer on ixia#renew
tester#renew should always get responses
tester#1new should not always get responses.

The above procedure is a bit of a departure on how I implemented the
tests discussed draft version 00. I'm in the process of confirming this
testing methodology on a commercial testing system.

I'm hoping to update the draft and have something available to discuss
at IETF-88.

Regards,

Bill Cerveny

Filename:        draft-cerveny-bmwg-ipv6-nd
Revision:        00
Title:           Benchmarking Neighbor Discovery Problems
Creation date:   2013-03-11
Group:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 10
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cerveny-bmwg-ipv6-nd-00

Abstract:
   This document is a benchmarking instantiation of RFC 6583:
   "Operational Neighbor Discovery Problems".  It describes a general
   testing procedure and measurements that can be performed to evaluate
   how the problems described in RFC 6583 may impact the functionality
   or performance of intermediate nodes.