Re: [bmwg] AD Review of draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance

Carsten Rossenhoevel <cross@eantc.de> Wed, 05 January 2022 23:17 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 00:17:14 +0100
To: tim copley <timcopley@gmail.com>, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Cc: draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance@ietf.org, bmwg@ietf.org
From: Carsten Rossenhoevel <cross@eantc.de>
Subject: Re: [bmwg] AD Review of draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance

Dear Tim,

Happy New Year!  Apologies for not responding earlier due to the
Christmas break.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments/suggestions
regarding the draft on Dec 16.

The scope of the draft certainly includes virtualized next-generation
firewalls (NGFWs), as it is outlined in sections 5 (testbed
considerations).  Virtualization-specific reporting requirements to
ensure reproducibility of results are specified in section 6.

The test methodology is robust and applicable to any size and type of
firewalls.  Large perimeter firewalls can be tested, as well as smaller
firewalls, whether physical or virtual, whether in a private or public
cloud.  Multi-tenancy does not require any changes to the methodology;
in fact, it is just a choice of test traffic patterns (see section
4.3.1.2).  To emulate traffic in multiple tenant domains, it may be
necessary to include a router as described in Figure 2.

Sandboxing techniques are included in the "Anti-evasion" category in
Table 1.  It is possible and supported to enable such sandboxing
features during tests.  The test methodology remains unchanged, although
probably the resulting performance will be different once additional
functions are added.   As mentioned in section 4.2.1, the draft is
primarily focused on performance benchmarking. However, it is
recommended to validate the security features configuration of a
solution under test by evaluating the security effectiveness as a
prerequisite for performance benchmarking tests.  Security effectiveness
methodology is specified in Appendix A.

Best regards, Carsten

--
Carsten Rossenhövel
Managing Director, EANTC AG (European Advanced Networking Test Center)

Place of Business/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Germany
Chairman/Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Herbert Almus
Managing Directors/Vorstand: Carsten Rossenhövel, Gabriele Schrenk
Registered: HRB 73694, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin, Germany
EU VAT No: DE812824025