RE: [Bridge-mib] VLAN-ID

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Fri, 21 February 2003 15:17 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, bridge-mib@ietf.org
Cc: mibs@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] VLAN-ID
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:15:37 +0100
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

Having seen some discussion. How about if we were to define
two generic TCs for this that people will be encouraged to use
from now on:

  VlanId            ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
      DISPLAY-HINT "d"
      STATUS        current
      DESCRIPTION  "A 12-bit VLAN ID used in the VLAN Tag header."
      SYNTAX        Integer32 (1..4094)
      REFERENCE    "Draft Standard for Virtual Bridged Local Area
                    Networks, P802.1Q/D10, chapter 3.13
                   "

  VlanIdOrAny       ::= TEXTUAL CONVENTION
      DISPLAY-HINT "d"
      STATUS        current
      DESCRIPTION  "The VLAN ID that uniquely identifies a VLAN.
                    The value of -1 is used to indicate a wildcard,
                    i.e. any value.
                   "
      SYNTAX        Integer32 (-1 | 1..4094)

Or would the VlanIdOrAny better be represented with
      SYNTAX        Integer32 (-1 | 1..4094)
where zero represents the wild card ??

Not sure if we should include the VlanIndex from RFC2674. I think
it is not as general... but am not sure. If we were to generalize it,
then I would think it should look like:

  VlanIndex         ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
      DISPLAY-HINT "d"
      STATUS        current
      DESCRIPTION  "A value used to index per-VLAN tables:
                   - values of 0 and 4095 are not permitted;
                   - a value between 1 and 4094 inclusive represents
                     an IEEE 802.1Q VLAN-ID with global scope within
                     a given bridged domain (see VlanId textual
                     convention).
                   - a value greater than 4095 represents a VLAN with
                     scope local to the particular agent, i.e. one
                     without a global VLAN-ID assigned to it. Such
                     VLANs are outside the scope of IEEE 802.1Q but
                     it is convenient to be able to include them in
                     tables in the same way.
                   "
      SYNTAX        Unsigned32 (1..4094 | 4096..4294967295)

Or should we also use an Integer32 for the last one?
Would RFC2674 be the best place to define those?

If we were to do the above, then
- the framework PIb can keep what they have. At a future revision
  they can pick up the TC
- RFC2613 could still advance as is.
  I would prefer a new one that uses the new TC, but that new
  TC will be in a PS, so that would prohibit advancing to DS.
  So we can do that at a later stage.
- RFC2674 gets updated
- docsis MIB probably should pick up new TC, or at least define
  their VlanID the same way as proposed in the TC.

Thanks,
Bert