[anonsec] mailing list problems

touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch) Fri, 01 June 2007 13:16 UTC

From: "touch at ISI.EDU"
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 06:16:07 -0700

Hi, all,

Nicolas Williams wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Please make your filters smart enough to allow postings by subscribers
> or by senders who've posted before or remove the filters altogether.

While the idea that "if you posted before, all future posts are OK"
seems useful on the surface, there are two problems:

	1) that's not a setting in Mailman (of which I am aware;
		if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know off-list)

	2) that won't stop the spam (we already get) spoofed with
	source addresses of regular posters, as well as other
	subscribed addresses

> If you don't then I will ask the chair to create a btns at ietf.org list
> and move the WG discussion to it.  (The chair may refuse to do that, of
> course.)

That's your perogative (and the chair's). I provide the service I can,
with the resources available. I don't have the resources to rewrite
Mailman every time a transient like this comes up, nor would I expect
the IETF system to either.

In general, we receive very little spam, and trip up the system on cases
like this rarely.

If you believe that there is a potential problem, it might be useful to
start by changing the subject line, since most of our filters weigh the
subject line heavily.

Joe (as list admin)