[Ietf-calsify] What's the status of xCal?

reinhold at kainhofer.com (Reinhold Kainhofer) Fri, 12 January 2007 02:28 UTC

From: "reinhold at kainhofer.com"
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:28:44 +0000
Subject: [Ietf-calsify] What's the status of xCal?

Hi,
I'm currently implementing an export function in KOrganizer that uses XSLT
transformations to create easier output in several formats and even allows
XSL-FO to be used for printing. For this, I need an intermediary XML format,
and xCalendar comes in quite handy here.

However, I could only find expired drafts on the net (with various different
namespace URIs used, so I'm not sure which is the current one). So what's the
status of xCal?
I found the draft
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-royer-calsch-xcal-03
using "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xcal", but not using the namespace prefix
consistently, so most of the elements are NOT in that namespace :-(
(Older drafts use the namespace "http://ietf.org/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt", and they
employ the xCal: prefix consistently).
I also found the older calsch-many, but that's obviously a deprecated draft.

Of course, once I have implemented several xsl stylesheets (maybe even to
xsl-fo for printing/exporting a calendar to PDF in various layouts), these
transformations won't be restricted to KOrganizer, but can be used with any
xCalendar file produced by any application that is able to export to
xCalendar (which are not many currently...).

So is there any decision on the XML representation of iCal? Or is this dead
and I need to come up with my own XML and other applications won't be able to
use my stylesheets, because we don't have a standardized XML representation,
only self-cooked ones?

Thanks,
Reinhold

email: reinhold@kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/